Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Lexmark Printer P6250. Ive had it many years, and

I have a Lexmark Printer P6250. I've had it many years, and I use it for printing emails etc. I only purchase and install the black ink cartridge, leaving the empty colour cartridge intact. I purchased another black cartridge approx. one month ago, and everything was fine, until 2 days ago. I attempted to print off an email, when a message appeared on the screen advising me "print cartridge missing. Please install a cartridge". I ignored it, and attempted to print, but the printer just issued blank paper. How can I solve the problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Have you replaced the color yet since it came up? Once the color is completely empty and has no ink at all the machine can not print until it is replaced.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not replaced the colour cartridge for a long time, probably 2 years or longer. The icon on the screen shows a red cross, with an empty container, and it has been like this for ages.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Even when it needs to be replaced there is usually a tiny bit of ink in it. It uses that to put a tiny bit of ink through the print head nozzle while waiting to be replaced. This prevents people from damaging the print head by having no ink. When it is 100% empty and can not send anything through the nozzle at all it will not work until replaced. The only way we can continue troubleshooting is to rule that out as the issue first.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. Is your suggestion then that I should purchase a new colour cartridge?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
As mentioned in my first reply we need to troubleshoot the issue. The first thing to do is replace the empty cartridge and see if anything changes. If the same thing happens you would need to let me know so we can continue because it means you have a deeper problem. We can only continue once the cartridge is ruled out.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I'll buy another cartridge and I'll report back to you.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and please let me know the results when you can. Take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Freddie,

I have today purchased a colour cartridge. I got it from Wilkinsons for £11.It is headed "Wilko remanufactured inkjet cartridge, for printers using Lexmark Colour No 1". Bearing in mind that we only need it to "trigger" the black cartridge, do you think it will work?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It is possible however you would want to stay away from generic and refilled ink cartridges normally as Lexmark brand cartridges are chipped. They also clean the print head as the ink passes through watered down generic inks can clog the nozzle. Since you only need the black though it does not matter much on the color. Let me know what happens when you put in the cartridge.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Inserted the cartridge, but no change really. The printer screen shows "cartridge error" When I attempt to print, a message appears on the computer screen "print cartridge missing" and does not allow me to continue. I think that, even if I buy the official cartridge, the printer is not going to work, which is a shame really, because I only use it to copy emails etc onto paper which has been printed on one side.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Was it showing missing with the new one as well or just cartridges error? Cartridge error can be caused by the chip but not cartridge missing.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It showed "cartridge missing" with the old cartridge, as well as the new one. In both cases, the cartridges were in place.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is a very bad sign and could mean you need a new part.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Freddie, I'll do this tomorrow and come back to you.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I've followed your instructions, but to no avail. The first thing that I noticed, on moving the printer, that some print ink had leaked from the right underside of the printer. A further inspection revealed that there was a considerable amount of ink inside the printer. I cleaned it all and re-inserted the cartridges. The display shows "cartridge error". I attempted to print, but a message came on the screen "cartridge missing". I think this Printer has had it. It's a shame, because I only need it for copying emails. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, unfortunately what you are describing means the carriage itself has failed and needs to be replaced. The part alone can cost about $100 and due to that a lot of people decide to replace the machine instead.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's what I'll do then. Thanks for your help. I'll keep you on my radar for the future, if that's O.K.

Regards,

Geoff

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddie, I replied by email on 15th September. The printer is not worth repairing, and has been discarded. Thanks for your help. Geoff