cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have worked on printers at my job for over 7 years.
20109878

MY EPSON STYLUS PHOTO R2880 IS SHOWING FATAL ERROR CAN IT BE

Customer Question

MY EPSON STYLUS PHOTO R2880 IS SHOWING FATAL ERROR CAN IT BE CURED.
Fitted continuous ink system and immediately came up with this error. Has been OK with individual cartridges
Category: Printers
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.
cvd4311 :

Could be a couple of things: Carriage control Error which would be Parallel adjustment malfunction or shortage of lubricant on the carriage guide shaft. Or CG Access Error which is a short circuit. It could also be one of your sensors are defective or off. You can go to this page: http://inkreset.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=30 and look at the 2nd section and it will tell you a list of it.

Depending on how old your Epson Sylus is it might just be cheaper to go ahead and buy a new one. If it is still under warranty then Epson will fix it or replace it.

cvd4311 :

It also could be these: Printer ink pads are at the end of their service life, waste ink pad inside printer is saturated or parts have come to end of their service life.

cvd4311 :

You can sometimes solve the problem with resetting the Waste Ink Counter and replace or clean the ink pads.

cvd4311 :

If you still have a warranty on your Epson do not replace the waste ink counter or it will void your warranty.

cvd4311 :

Hi are you still here?

cvd4311 :

Did you get my instructions above?

How old is your Epson Stylus? And did you get the extended warranty?

cvd4311 :

You can always go back to the individual cartridges to see if that will stop the Fatal error but I am assuming since you installed the continuous ink that is causing the ink pads to get full from the overflow ink.

Customer:

Hi. cynthia . yes I am still here. Your suggestion to reset the waste counter will not work because of the fatal error notice pops up and prevents this. The printer was bought second hand with no guarantee. I have already put back the individual cartridges with no change .

cvd4311 :

okay then it looks like maybe it is another part that is defective. did you look at your carriage guide shaft? maybe it popped loose?

cvd4311 :

another thing is maybe one of your sensors has went out (which is not uncommon).

cvd4311 :

Having it serviced with probably cost you around 100.00 (that is the usual price) so it might not be worth the money to get it done (especially if they have to install a defective part). It might just be reasonable to buy another one.

Customer:

I will try to clean the inkpads. the carriage drive shaft is firm. The location and purpose of the sensors is a problem. The r2880 costs around about £450 so is not chicken feed. My main printer is a R2440 which is giving great service and seems better built than the R2880. you have given me something to work on and so many thanks

cvd4311 :

you are very welcome. glad I could be of some help.

cvd4311 :

If we are finished and can close the ticket, Please RATE 4 or above if you are satisfied.

Customer:

a service manual would be useful

Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.
Here is one site: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=104488&infoType=Doc.

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/r2880_/r2880_ug.pdf

Both sites have service manual for your Epson
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.
also another site for a service manual is here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/48211/Epson-Stylus-R2880.html.