Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My MP600R printer powers up with the message "The type of print

My MP600R printer powers up with the message "The type of print head is not correct" with a code of U052. How can I correct this problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How did you clean the machine?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used distilled water

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I meant exactly how did you remove it, use cotton swabs, etc?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used an old cotton handkerchief ( clean of course ).

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning. If it has a latch not all Canons do so if yours does not let me know.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried the manual deep cleaning after watching the video but I still get the same fault.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign. How old is the printer? Do you happen to have an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The printer is probably about six years old but has not had very much use. I do not have an extended warranty.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, even if you did have an extended warranty after 6 years it would no longer be covered. I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue. I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is the print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head normally costs between £60 and 80. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between 55 and 75 per hour though you could probably do it yourself. You can get the part from here: Click Here In case you would like to look for it somewhere else the part number is ***** Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Freddy M,

Many thanks for all your advice and help. I agree with your conclusion. A new print head cannot be guaranteed 100% to fix my problem, so a new printer at about the same price as a head will solve my dilemma.

Best regards,

Brian

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience