Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I've just purchased the epson3880, I cannot get a decent print

Customer Question

I've just purchased the epson3880, I cannot get a decent print from the machine they are all very over saturated, I have profiled my screen even changed the monitor and profiled that but to no avail, I used paper profiles and I'm really frustrated!
everything looks fine till I move to print preview then the image changes completely to the extent that the colour is grossly over saturated and that what the printer prints, help!!!!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you must be printing from an application program with a set of color profiles. These can be finicky to get working to the extent that what is on the screen matches what is printed out. The problem may not be with your printer at all.

1: determine whether the printer is the problem, I recommend, by printing from a standard simple graphics program (without special color profiles to speak of) such as MS Paint
(Start - [All] Programs - Accessories - Paint)
and see whether that also prints out oversaturated colors.

2: let me know what application program (presumably Adobe something-or-other) you are having problems printing from.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You for getting back to me,

I've printed an image from paint and it looks pretty good, it looks like as you suggested that the problem is within photoshop cs6

Where do I go from here, Photoshop is the main programme that I use for editing and hopefully printing?

I think that you might want to use ICC Profiles for the printer you have, and whatever sort of paper you are printing onto also.

Official ICC Profiles for several printing papers and your 3880 Epson printer are found here:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/ICCProfiles/proImagingICCProfiles_StylusPro3880.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&profileFor=proImagingICCProfiles_StylusPro3880

Are you running Windows, or do you have an Apple computer with MAC OS X ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been using icc profiles for the papers that I'm trying to use but I will try the site you posted here, I using windows 8

OK. Let me know.

Also:

You might want to switch from using Windows color profiling (in your printer's driver setting) to using ... the other choice, whatever it is. Or vice-versa, if you're already using whatever the other choice is on your machine, you might want to choose Windows color profiling.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Downloading the new profiles made no difference, I don't know how I can change the printer driver settings, is that done from the printing menu where you select size & paper, I tried changing colour settings in there and also colour settings in ps to no avail.

Go to
Start - Control Panel - Devices and Printers
and right-click on the icon for your printer. Select 'Properties.'
The color profile setting will be there in the Properties sheet for your printer. Select whatever the alternative to the current setting is, then click on the OK button to save the chnaged setting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was presented with the same icc profiles as was in printer menu, I tried adobe RGB which is the same as ps, no change, I tried the monitor profile still no change. When I open the print dialogue to print I'm presented with a thumbnail of the image which looks fine but when I select print the print preview changes completely and prints the changes

Try changing your Photoshop settings to print RGB mode. The printer should convert to its own CMYK system printing internally. This may make the difference.

Proof Colors command will show how the printout will look with the printer profile used.

Also read this page about CS6, which may contain helpful tips, such as that you should'nt have both Adobe Photoshop color management and printer color management enabled - or 'avoid double color management':
http://www.colourphil.co.uk/photoshop-cs6-print.shtml
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been following all these guidelines on your recommended page and they are exactly as I was using, still everything changes when I press print (thank god for the preview page or I'd be out of paper and ink)

I've tried so many different ways to get the a print similar to the monitor it just defies belief.

what I cannot understand is how the thumbnail looks like the screen image and select print and changes so drastically

The printer's profile must be using Color Management.

Try disabling C. M. in the printer's Properties by way of
Control Panel - Devices and Printers - right-click on printer's icon.

Do not go through the Print dialog in Photoshop for this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not getting the option to disable cm, have to select one in the drop down menu.

Russell I know that your giving me your best and it's a tricky field, but I seem no closer to solving my problem, I'm just wasting ink, paper & time I'm frustrated to say the least any way I'm taking a break from it now I'm just wasted. I will give you a fair rating,

Eric

It's somewhere in the settings, trust me.

And 'double profiling' is to be avoided - or first the software compensates, so to speak, and then the printer compensates also, leading to odd and wrong color balance results.

And you can see the problem in the Print Preview, so clearly it's not the printer, aside from how the print from MS Paint did just fine.

So we have at least eliminated the printer, and gotten into how Windows itself is not at fault. Printing from Photoshop is always difficult to get right... until you find your particular recipe. Photoshop is where the problem is, and good luck with it.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. Please feel welcome to ask another question, at any time, in any one of our numerous categories.