Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My SCX-4729FW laser printer reports a paperjam. Paper is not

Customer Question

My SCX-4729FW laser printer reports a paperjam. Paper is not torn, crumbled or fed in misaligned but feed in stalls each time paper reaches toner cassette (I think). Same toner cassette and paper type (standard) have been working faultlessly up to now. There are no visible remains of paper in he feed mechanism. Any ideas??
*****@******.***
Many thanks,
Wolf
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the paper stops in the same place inside the printer, then its leading edge is roughly where the problem is.

The problem is no doubt a matter of the paper not being sensed as present where it should be (at roughly the position of the leading edge of the paper, where it stops.)

There should be a paper position sensor roughly there. It is not being triggered by the paper. Since the paper is not being torn nor crumpled, it is a matter of the sensor not sensing the paper. You need to inspect that area for toner dust, dirt, paper dust, scraps, anything... or for an obviously fouled or dirtied paper presence sensor.

It is usual, with all laser printer problems, to Open, Inspect, Clean (carefully), Close Up, and Try Again.

Open: Unplug the machine for safety. Get access to the internal workings, esp. those of the problem area. Remove cartridge(s) if necessary.

Inspect: look for anything wrong or odd in the problem area. Spilled toner? bent or broken parts? stuck sensor switch? tabs or tape not removed from toner cartridge(s)?

Clean (carefully): Take a dry white or light colored high-quality lint-free rag cloth, and wipe firmly all possible plastic or especially metal surfaces that could have toner/paper dust/fluff/anything on them. Carefully, to avoid touching, spraying, moistening, abrading, or exposing to direct light for longer than 1 minute out of 15 or more, the shiny, usually blue-green (but sometimes red-purple) photosensitive 'drum' or roller, which is easily damaged.

Close up: put everything back in, close covers, etc.

Try again: plug in, turn on.

- Let me know what you observe or find out. There may be more to do for the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, thank you, ***** ***** it could be the paper sensor. Do you know how to identify it on my particular printer model?

I don't know your particular model that well, I confess, but it would be either mechanical (a little switch) or optical (a little U-shaped sensor at one edge, or a LED emitter paired with a photocell sensor on the other side of the paper.

Try a general wipe-down of that area (avoiding the photosensitive 'drum' of course, don't touch it at all) to clean toner dust off. If there are no switch-like elements there, not even broken-off ones, the printer may have to be serviced in person.

Let me know, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My untrained eyes cannot spot anything that matches your description. Space is very confined and I think I may have to remove a side panel to get a better view and better access.

Cleaning the area with a cloth hasn't produced much dust and in fact I'd tried that already w/o success.

Thanks anyway for your expert advice, even though the problem persists..

Try a hard reset also:

- with the printer On, unplug the power from it sharply and suddenly.
- leave it that way for 15+ minutes.
- plug it in again. Turn it On again if necessary.
- see if that helps with the problem.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hard reset hasn't helped, either. I think further exploration by a technician will be required.

Although I am still stuck with the problem, I appreciate your advice and will submit a positive rating. Thank you.

Good luck. (Please rate my Answer, using the 'smiley-faces' interface found below my Answer(s) - hopefully favorably - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks.)