Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Canon Pixma Mp620 Error Message “U052 The type of print head

Customer Question

Canon Pixma Mp620 Error Message
“U052 The type of print head is incorrect. Install correct print head.”
The printer has worked well for a number of years, but yesterday, after printing a one page document, showed this message and refuses to print. I have switched it off, unplugged it, left it and re-started it. I have also removed all the ink cartridges and the print head, re-assembled, switched it off, unplugged it, left it and re-started it. It still shows the same message.
Bob
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
When you removed the ink cartridges and print head did you clean anything?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy,

I'm hoping that your advice will save me having to take the printer to the Canon-nominated repair facility, which is what Canon have recommended.

The ink cartridges and print head all seemed fine. I wiped away a little surface ink on the print head, but it was a very small amount.

Bob

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Even if you need a part you can usually do it yourself. If it is under warranty though you would want to bring it to Canon to save some money as there are two parts that can cause this. Did you use anything other than a cloth when cleaning?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No.

BTW, printer is out of warranty.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok remove the cartridges and print head. Take the print head and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. Then change the water and repeat this until after 10 minutes the water is clear. Unplug the print if it is plugged in and let the print head dry.

By hand move the carriage to the center of the guide bar. Put the print head and the ink cartridges back in leaving the carriage in the center. Then plug it back in and turn it on. It should detect them in the center and recheck for problems. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Freddy. Followed all your instructions. It took about 8 rinses for the water to be clear. Made sure print head was dry. Reassembled and restarted, but error message still the same. Switched off and unplugged printer; left for 30 minutes; restarted, but error message still the same.

Regards,

Bob

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is the error number exactly the same or did the number change?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still the same U052

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn unfortunately that means the print head needs to be replaced. The part number is ***** You can get one from here: Click Here You can sometimes find them cheaper on eBay as well. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've checked out buying a print head, but they're almost as expensive as buying a new printer! So that doesn't seem a very good idea.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
As I mentioned you can sometimes get them cheaper on eBay and there is nothing we can do about you needing a part that is out of anyone's control. Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine instead but that is completely up to you. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.