Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a ESP3250 Printer which says it "Cannot detect paper edges"

I have a ESP3250 Printer which says it "Cannot detect paper edges" and just shoots a blank page out. I sent a diagnostic Report in yesterday and got an e-mail acknowledgement Reference:141005-000076. I have looked at Step-by-step Guide and Set-Up Links and learnt that Software that I tried to update is no longer available.
Can you help me get back to printing properly.?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Unless you are printing upon transparencies, of a sort without the white edge (and that should be put in the leading-edge position when the transparency is loaded in), then your printer is having a problem 'seeing' the leading edge of the paper, or possibly some other edge.

This may be associated with either
A. paper sensor failure within the printer - requiring repair, usually.
B. or perhaps you have set the printer to 'detect size automatically' rather than to a specific paper size. Check in your printer's driver settings on your computer, as to whether a specific paper size (as opposed to 'Auto' or the like) has been set for 'Paper Size' in the driver settings. (On a Windows PC, driver settings are in
Start - Control Panel - Devices and Printers
by right-clicking upon the printer's icon, and choosing Properties.)
or
C. the use of peculiar blank stock, such as transparencies as mentioned above.

Let me know what you think, and whether you need any help with the details.

If the above is a sufficient answer to your question, please rate my Answer - favorably I would hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am an 80 year old 'Silver Surfer', not technically qualified. Like many other things in this life, e.g., electricity, I just use the facility without knowing how it works, nor do I need to. I have followed your instructions and it looks to me as though the setting is stuck on Photo paper of A4 size. I cannot see an "Auto" setting so, where do I go from here.?

I will rate you for now. Please don't send me another 20 reminders.

Brian XXXXX.

The reminders aren't under my control, and if you are getting an excess of them, I regret that.

I'm glad to hear that some symptom of the problem has been discovered already.

Photo paper of A4 size is rather rare and odd. That setting is abnormal somehow, and can be cured, I think.

In the printer's driver settings (Devices and Printers, right-click on Properties):
Can you change it away from 'Photo Paper' to say 'Letter' or 'Normal' ?
If you can, then you ought subsequently to change it from A4 to 8 1/2 by 11, or to Normal, Letter, etc.

If that doesn't work, then tell me what shows up on
Start - Control Panel - System [Information]
for your Windows version (e.g. XP, or Vista, or 7 or 8...), and also what shows up there for the
System Type
such as 32-bit or 64-bit, please. With that information I will be able to instruct you as to how to clear this odd paper-size setting condition.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The strange thing is that when looking at Printer properties the Printer icon has a Green Tick; this surely must indicate all is well.?

The only way I can get the page size to read 'Normal' is to go to 'Factory Default' instead of Custom. I agree that A4 Photo is very strange; I always do 4x6 borderless with 600dpi and using KODAK Premium paper. I have tried to print this with a JPEG photo but, again, the photo paper just comes through blank. I have looked under System which gives: Rating, Processor, Installed Memory (4.00GB), System Type 64-bit operating system, Computer Name,(and full name), BRIAN-PC, Computer description - WORKGROUP and finally Product Code. I am on Windows 7 Professional

I did send a Diagnosis Report from KODAK AiO Home Centre previously; do you want me to do that again.?

Brian.

The green check-mark over a printer's icon means it is selected as the Default printer.

Diagnosis Report is probably not significant twice.

Try this:

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from the power. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer.

Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel - Devices and Printers, and remove all entries for your Brother printer and its series, by clicking on each of its icons (or entries) and deleting.

Then go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and use Uninstall (or Remove or Change/Remove) to get rid of all programs specific to your Kodak printer.

Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to
http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32108/selected/true

and click on the blue Download button, and wait for the download to complete and Save To file on your hard disk. Then locate the downloaded installer file, double-click on it to start the install routine, and install the drivers etc.

That should do it. If there is any problem at any point, feel free to stop short and Reply to me and I'll try to help you through the difficulty.

That ought to help. Thanks for your patience.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Russell, Thanks for that Info: which I have not had time to take any action on, as yet. However the thought occurs to me that, why do I not just Uninstall the Driver on the Printer as you suggested, and then

Re-Install from the Original Disc, which I have, (which is version 5.4), and then Update from that .?

I don't know where you got the "Brother Printer" from as my previous one was an Epson printer.

Is there any problem with that suggestion.?

Brian.

I am sorry about the reference to a Brother printer - I must have been mistaking your case for another case owing to a slight fatigue.

By all means, remove the former driver, then restart your computer after unplugging your printer, then reinstall the printer from the disc. That ought to work, too.

To uninstall the former driver:
- go to
and click once on, then Delete, the icon for your Kodak printer.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The situation remains the same. I deleted the Printer Icon and tried to use the Original Disc I got no indication that anything was happening.

I tried your Link instructions next; got it to Install and hit RUN.

Got as far as 'Welcome' and after accepting Agreements, default settings and usage data collection I hit NEXT. Nothing happened.

I then connected device and got a Installation message. I was told device was ready to use. Tried to print an e-mail a document and a photo and still got a blank page come through.

It is looking likely that the actual sensor is faulty, don't you think.?

What is the cost of such a repair versus a new printer.?

Brian

The cost of repair of your Kodak printer would depend upon whether it is within 1 year of its purchase date - in which case the repair would be done for free under warranty terms.

If not within warranty, you would have to ask for an estimate of the repair cost. It might be more than you would care to spend on an old printer... and if the printer is already 3 or 4 years or more old, it might be a better idea to get a new printer altogether, since an old printer, once repaired, is likely to fail again soonish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Russell, I am sorry to say that this is now the 3rd day of attempting to get my All-in-one KODAK ESP3250 Printer to work - without success.

Furthermore, having spoken to family and friends who have had problems with the same Printer, they inform me that on their Live Chat they were not asked for payment and their problems were resolved within hours the same day. I now wish to terminate this discussion with you which I cannot honestly rate as you have not put the problem right.

Brian.

I'm sorry to hear that.

To give you a chance at a second opinion, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category.