Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Hello RussellI have a Canon MG5350 which has worked

Customer Question

Hello Russell I have a Canon MG5350 which has worked perfectly up to now. A couple of days ago I had to print 20 4 x 6 photos and in an effort to economize I used some Epson paper I had in my cupboard. The paper was from one of those early box radio type Epson photo printers that I had given away long ago. The first 12 photos printed perfectly but then started to print like an over exposed photo. Image still there but very light. I have run nozzle cleaning, head cleaning (several times) etc etc but the printer is still printing blanks. It goes through the whole process of printing but nothing gets transferred to the paper. Any suggestions? Many thanks Anne

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Freddy

Nice to meet you.

I had already cleaned the print cartridges and connection in the machine and turned off the machine. The only thing I hadn't done per your suggestion was turn the machine back on without the cartridges inserted and wait for the prompt.

I have no gone through the process again but this time loading cartridges only when prompted but unfortunately same result. Paper goes through, appears to be printing but only a blank page received.

Any other suggestions?

Anne

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Can you try it with a regular piece of paper instead of the Epson? Even if you use the back of something you printed before but no longer need to test it.
..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am trying with plain paper. Haven't used the Epson since the day it started to go wrong.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok that rules that out as the cause then and unfortunately is not a good sign.
Next we will want to remove the print head and do a manual deep cleaning.
This video explains how to do that: Click Here You can dry it with a lint free cloth instead of waiting, do not use paper towels as lint can clog the nozzles.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok Freddy. I will watch the video but have to go out now. Will get back to you later. Thanks

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Take all the time you need.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

decided to delay departure to get this resolved but no luck. Removed the head and washed as indicated in idea but same outcome I'm afraid.

There is one additional difference that I didn't mention. I change my laptop last week. I think I have printed ok with it since replacement but can't recall exactly. The photos I printed were from stick and not from pc.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The easiest way to test would be to try the other computer if you can and let me know what happens.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delay but I had to leave. I tried printing from my ipad but same prob.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I was afraid you would say that, how old is the printer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About 18 months

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did you happen to get an extended warranty with it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I was afraid of that, I really hate to have to tell you this but after the troubleshooting we have done if the problem is still there I am sorry to say you indeed are going to require a new part. I know this is not what you want to here but I want to make sure I am honest with the information I provide you. You would need to replace the print head in order to fix this issue.

I wish there was another way but with everything you have posted I am confident this is the problem with your machine. The reason for this is he print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Over time these parts deteriorate and need to be replaced.

A new print head normally costs between £60 and 80. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between 65 and 75 per hour though you could probably do it yourself.Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks for trying. Probably best to get another. Thanks for the service and I will leave your rating. Best regards, Anne

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Thank you I greatly appreciate the positive rating and I hope you have a wonderful day other than the unfortunate news of course.
.