Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I have a Canon MG 5250 printer / scanner. Since updating to

Customer Question

I have a Canon MG 5250 printer / scanner. Since updating to Yosemite on my iMac the scan button no longer shows a device attached. I can click on the printer icon and get to the scanner function that way, but not from the printer controls now. Any idea why not? Last Can update taken was version 3.0 released 22nd Oct 2014.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sam! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Can you please go to the Canon website below:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG5250.aspx

, then there, select your operating system "OS X v10.10"
, then select Preferred language English
, then download and install these two items:

MG5200 series Scanner Driver Ver. 17.7.1a (OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10)

MP Navigator EX Ver. 4.0.4 (OS X 10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10)

That should work. If needed, restart the computer and check.

And if needed, click on the Apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences..., then open Print & Scan

, then select the Canon... printer there, then click on the - (minus) button at the bottom left, and delete the printer for now

, then click on the + (plus) icon, then add the Canon... printer

, then check.

Note: the Canon download website is down right now, please try again later or tomorrow.

Please let me know later. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A window opens called image capture with nothing in it.Printer driver and scanner

Hi Sam,

Sorry, I know, the reason is that the driver and scan program are not updated on Yosemite yet. You just need to download and install the Scanner Driver and the MP Navigator EX application for the new operating system Yosemite (Mac OS X 10.10) from the Canon website I've provided you, then scanning will work from printer.

Sorry, then Canon website is down right now, so please try again later.

Please get back to me tomorrow. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have followed your instructions a couple of times now and get the same result when I press the printer scanner "scan" button. I assume that after deleting the old printer driver there is only the newly downloaded one to load.

Canon Windows

Hi Sam,

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if you were able to follow my instructions because I've just checked the Canon download website again; it's still not working. I have just found a new Canon download website that is working. Please try the following:

1. Click on the Apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences..., then open Print & Scan

2. Then download and install 2 files below:

1. MG5200 series Scanner Driver (file name is msd_-mac-mg5200-17_7_1a-ea8_2.dmg)

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0100004340/01/msd_-mac-mg5200-17_7_1a-ea8_2.dmg

2. MP Navigator EX (file name is mnve_4_0-mac-all-4_0_4-ea8_2.dmg)

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/1/0200003281/01/mnve_4_0-mac-all-4_0_4-ea8_2.dmg

3. Restart the computer.

4. Click on the Apple logo / menu, then click on System Preferences..., then open Print & Scan

, then click on the + (plus) button at the bottom left, then add your Canon printer.

5. Open the application Canon / MP Navigator EX in Applications in Finder, then see if you can scan.

When you are available, please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry not to get back to you sooner. I have got caught up with other things and not been able to run through this procedure again. I will do and let you know how it turns out.

You're welcome. That's okay. Please take your time. Our system emails out automatic reminder everyday, but you can reply back only whenever you have time to try. Thank you