Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a HP Photosmart C6180 All in One printer(out of warranty)

Customer Question

I have a HP Photosmart C6180 All in One printer(out of warranty) which keeps switching on and off eery twenty or thirty seconds and will not print. It appears it needs to be reset. Please advise how I can solve the problem. I have tried switching off and unplugging but it does not solve the problem. I urgently need use of my printer, which is an expensive model! M O'Kane
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try this: open the printer and remove the cartridges. Set them aside, on their sides, on a fourfold-folded fresh paper towel (to guard the surface against ink leakages.)

Then pull the plug on the printer, without turning it Off, sharply and suddenly removing the power.

Leave it that way for 15 minutes (longer would be good, but the cartridges might dry out.)

Plug it in again, without cartridges, and power it On. Wait for it to initialize... does it still power Off again? if so, pull the plug again, open it, and examine for anything loose inside it of a metallic nature - paper clips, binder clips, pen, pencil, coins, staples, loose parts or anything metal. Remove and clean out thoroughly. Pick up the printer bodily and shake it (without cartridges in it, remember!) or even turn it almost on its side and listen for metal objects sliding about inside it. If you hear anything sliding about inside it of a metal nature, there is the cause, most probably, of the problem. And dislodging it may help.

Ultimately, if a metal object is loose inside it, you will have to remove that sometime, but for the moment at least dislodge it away from electronic parts and to one side or the other of the printer's inner workings.
If there is no metal object inside, then the printer must be presumed to have a circuitry short circuit, and thus be powering Off self-protectively (or perhaps, owing to a failure of initialization.)

If the printer is less than a year old, reporting it as defective to HP will get it repaired for free under warranty. If over a year old, it is a decision for you as to whether to have it repaired, or replace it, for repair cost when out of warranty would be yours to pay, unfortunately.

Let me know if I may provide further advice upon any point of this case.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

None of the aabove worked but there is something small moving about inside which I am no competent to remove. I will get someone who knows a bit about electronics to have a look at it tomorrow and see if he can find the object. M. O'Kane

If there is indeed a loose object inside it, then do not turn it On again until it is removed.

One suggestion is to turn it upside down - being aware that the scanner lid on top needs to be supported or it will break! so it has to be done carefully by a strong capable person - and shake it until the object comes out, a difficult matter to attempt. (And it is best to remove the cartridges first and set them aside on their sides on a paper towel, to keep dust and debris from contaminating them.)

Let me know how it goes, at your convenience, please. Thanks.