Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Hi, I have an HP Officejet Pro K8600 which will print only

Customer Question

Hi, I have an HP Officejet Pro K8600 which will print only one page before showing the light code which means "Carriage has stalled". Power cycling the machine allows it to print one more page. Amazingly, when asking (via the local switches) for a status report, the printer produces two pages without any apparent problem. PS it doesn't have the duplexer fitted at this time. There are no visible restrictions and the print quality is excellent.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's now worse as the lights are the same (power and resume lights flashing) plus all the ink tanks are on steady. Note that the ink tanks on the K8600 are not on the print carriage, but are behind a cover on the right of the printer body. Are we talking about the same printer?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Yes this is what I was referring to:

It is also impossible for anythng I just gave you to make it worse. If the error changed it means as I mentioned in my original post you may need a new part. The current error you are seeing means the ink cartridges have expired, are they genuine HP? Both refills and generic cartridges can cause both of these problems.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The ink cartridges are generic, and I am sure that they cannot (all!!!) be empty. If I power cycle the device, it comes up correctly with just the power light on steady. After I send it a test page from the PC (prints fine), the power and resume are flashing and all four ink lights are on steady.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
They are not empty which is why I just asked you if they were refills or generic, and as I mentioned the error means expired not empty. These machines have expiration dates on ink cartridges. Both refills and generic cartridges will cause both of the problems you have mentioned. Also the next step would be to try using HP cartridges since that is most likely your cause and it sounds like you will not try that from your responses so I will opt out and open this to all experts as that is most likely the cause of your problem. If anyone has any other ideas they will post it the same way I did. Please do not rate or you may not get another reply from anyone.
.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It may be that your HP printer has simply come to the end of its useful lifetime (or, it has 'broken'.)

This is more likely if it is already about 5 years old or more. 5 years is a good lifetime for a printer.

The cartridges may not have helped any, if they are 'compatible' or refills as opposed to genuine HP ink.
If you try Expert Freddy's advice, to try genuine HP cartridges in your printer, then I would like to amend his advice in this fashion, which in light of my opinion as just mentioned (that the printer's erratic indications etc. may indicate it has 'broken' owing to age and use):

1. just buy *one* replacement cartridge, of genuine HP OEM manufacture.
2. try that one. If that really cures the problem for just that one slot / color / cartridge error indication, then spending money on the other HP cartridges would be justified. But if it doesn't cure the problem even for that one cartridge, that would indicate that Expert Freddy is wrong and I am right, that the fault is in the printer not the cartridges.

I do understand that genuine HP-OEM cartridges are somewhat pricey. The above is meant to diminish losses toward a diagnosis and cure.

( If the printer turns out to be defective, then
A. repair of a 5+year-old printer is not likely to be an economical proposition, compared to replacement. Old printers are likely to break again soon.
B. replacement might have one consideration in your choices: to get another HP printer that accepts whatever cartridges you already have a stock of, unused. That might save you considerable money, *if* have have a stock of unused and unopened cartridges. )

However it goes, and however you decide, good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The relevance of the answer to the described symptoms is unsatisfactory - there is clearly no problem with the ink supplies as the printer will produce one, and only one excellent quality print per power cycle. It also will produce two pages of status print, followed by one from the PC before locking up. The indicated light patter refers to the carriage (whic doesn't even carry the ink tanks!.