Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

my HP 2400 only prints some of the text on pages (Word, Excell

my HP 2400 only prints some of the text on pages (Word, Excell and e-mail MS Outlook).
This has only just started and I have rebooted and unplugged etc.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan : Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.
Nathan : Can you please try making a photocopy directly from the glass, in both black and color modes, and let me know if those come out okay?
Customer:

I am referring to printing from documents displayed on my screen

Customer:

In excel it prints text from some of the cells but not others, in Word and Outlook it seems to print headings but not other text, or random words.

Nathan :

I understand what you are saying, and there are many possible causes. I am asking you to please test a photocopy directly on the machine, so we can isolate the issue further.

Nathan :

I also need you to please check the full model number of the printer, there are half a dozen HP machines titled 2400, so there should be a few more numbers/letters there.

Customer:

HP Deskjet D2400 seriesCB607A

Customer:

S/N TH81M552K5 manufactured January 2008

Customer:

Actually a HP Deskjet D2460

Customer:

This does not have the facility to photocopy as it is a small desktop home printer.

Nathan :

Thank you for the info,

Customer:

Hope that helps a bit...

Nathan :

I see that now. All of the other hp2400 models are "all in one" types with a copier/scanner built in.

Nathan :

So are there any applications that do consistently print properly? Or does pretty much everything come out partial?

Nathan :

Does it appear to be only black test/images that are skipped, or colors as well?

Could you go into a word document, change all the text to blue or red, and try to print to see if it prints fully that way?

Customer:

just trying to print an acrobat file

Nathan :

okay please try the color only text print and let me know what happens

Customer:

PDF (ADobe acrobat) file prints fine

Customer:

Now trying colour only text print ..

Nathan :

ok

Customer:

created a word document with colour txet and then added black text in both bold and ordinary and it only prints the colour text

Customer:

I think I can see where this might be going

Nathan :

Okay that is exactly what I needed to know, thank you

Nathan :

This is not a computer/driver issue

Nathan :

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it)

Nathan :

the pdfs are coming out okay because the system is printing it in a color mode, so it is essentially adding all of the combined colors even where it is only black

Nathan :

You can try going into the printer setup/maintenance menu and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning next.

Nathan :

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it's time for a new printer, as this is a 6 year old model that was built for a 3 year service life. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Customer:

Thanks .. now why did I not think of that ?

Nathan :

You're welcome. Don't feel bad, these things aren't always so readily apparent, and it is normal to suspect it was a computer issue first.

Customer:

OK, thanks for the help £21 well spent (even if it is only to warn me that I may well need to go out and buy a new printer if the clean up does not work !)