Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Canon Pixma 6350. Shared wireless network connection to two

Canon Pixma 6350. Shared wireless network connection to two laptop PCs. Wireless indicator lights and data indicate established connection but unable to printer operate.
Printer date shows 2 Canon Pixma images - one with WS suffix. What setting do I have wrong?
Michael Heavens
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Russell H. :

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Russell H. :

WS as a suffix on your printer driver could indicate 'wireless' perhaps. But you cannot get the printer to operate.

Russell H. :

Please tell me whether you have a Windows PC, that you are printing from, or an Apple computer. Thanks.

Customer:

Both PCs running Windows 7

Russell H. :

OK. Thanks for responding so promptly.

Russell H. :

Go to

Start - Control Panel - Devices and Printers

and locate the icon for your printer - or, both icons if there are two - and right click on the icon then choose Properties.

Russell H. :

...sorry, let me amend that: double-click, not right-click, on the printer's icon.

Russell H. :

This will open a small window, called the Queue window for that printer (or for that driver set for it, if there are two.)

Russell H. :

If the queue window is not empty, clear it out using the controls in the menus of that window - Cancel All Jobs or the like will do that.

Russell H. :

Once the queue window is cleared, open the other queue window (for the other instance of the printer driver for this printer) by double-clicking upon its icon in Devices and Printers. And use that queue window's controls to empty it out too, if it has any print jobs in it.

Russell H. :

Then try printing - something quite simply, from a simple program, like Notepad perhaps, and even just one page will do - again. See if that prints out OK. (Mind, if there are two instances, choose the one for the wireless configuration... presumably the one marked 'WS'.) Let me know how that goes, please. Thanks.

Customer:

The WS printer is connected via WSD port. In Sharing, the one without suffix is connected via Virtual printer port. Cannot get a printed copy from either.

Customer:

I have forgotten to say that I have a wired connection from printer to main laptop because this seemed a solution previously. Without it printer was always reported offline.

Russell H. :

OK. Please go to Start - Control Panel - System [Information]

and read off the System Type there, is it 32-bit or is it 64-bit?

Russell H. :

...on the computer that is attached to the printer with a cable (presumably USB?) that is.

Customer:

64-bit: USB cable

Russell H. :

Thanks!

Russell H. :

Do as follows (it may take me a little time to assemble the instructions, so please be patient for about 5 or 10 minutes...):

Russell H. :

First, disconnect the printer, turn it off and unplug it from both power and computer. Leave it that way throughout the following, until you are instructed to connect it up again by the installation software routine (or, at least, by that routine having completely ended and finished and exited etc.)

So: turn off, unplug, unplug your printer.

Go to your computer, to the Start button, then to Control Panel - Devices and Printers, and remove all entries for your Canon printer and its series, by clicking on each of its icons (or entries) and deleting.

Then go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and use Uninstall (or Remove or Change/Remove) to get rid of all programs specific to your Canon printer.

Then, reboot your computer: shut it down and start it up again.

Then, go to
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG6350.aspx?type=download&softwaredetailid=tcm:14-986583&os=Windows%207%20%28x64%29&language=EN

and click once on the 'DOWNLOAD' button, and then click on the 'ACCEPT AND DOWNLOAD' button. and then download the proper driver for your printer.
Save it to disk, then double-click on the downloaded file, and do the driver installation.

Russell H. :

Let me know how that turns out, please. Thanks! (If you want it to be wireless again, we will configure that later. For now, just getting it working any way, is important. (The above is meant to be done on the laptop that is connected with USB cable... it would not work quite that way for the wireless configuration, please be aware. The above is instructions for only one computer, the one with USB cable connection. Thanks.)

Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable