Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

How can one unclog a blocked ink nozzle on an Epson all-in

How can one unclog a blocked ink nozzle on an Epson all-in-one?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.

Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As only the black cartridge was failing to print I just cleaned the prong that engages with it.

After the printer 'charged' all the cartridges it indicated the cyan needed replacing. Having done this the nozzle check shows a failure of both black and cyan!

Where do I go from here?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You would need to follow the steps I gave you with all cartridges not just the ones showing the error. Only one may be the problem but the part it sits in is one solid piece so it all needs to be cleaned.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have now followed your instructions to the letter. The printer now functions on all colours except black.

What now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Do not relist or I will not get your replies, somone was nice enough to let me know. Is the black coming out blank or faint now?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

blank

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign, how old is the machine?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2 years 10 months

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did you happen to get an extended warranty with it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok good call this number: 01952 607 111 Let them know what we did and that black is still blank. Normally to fix this the carriage assembly needs to be replaced which is the part you insert the cartridges into. Since you still have a warranty it should be covered. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For your information

:I did not follow your last advice but decided to try to unblock the black nozzle with a syringe and flexible tubing,which extracted 2 ml ink. Then I repeated the cleaning cycle, but to no avail

.Admitting defeat, decided to return the printer to Staples with a test page for 'evidence'. I then noticed that the new black cartridge registered only half full, so I replaced it again and ran another nozzle check. Two nozzle cleaning cycles later restored the printer to full functionality.

So I thank you again as your initial advice encouraged me to explore other options!