Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Dear SirI purchased an Epson printer XP422 through Amazon

Dear Sir
I purchased an Epson printer XP422 through Amazon on 29th Oct 2014. I set the printer up and everything was working perfectly. Initially I found it to be a very satisfactory
product. However after a very short period it appears to have developed a very irritating fault. It constantly jams when I try to feed 7x5 and 6x4 photo paper. It operates perfectly well with A4 both plain and photo papers, but will not feed 7x5 or 6x4 without constantly jamming. Can you please offer or suggest some guidance?. I have always had Epson printers in past and found them satisfactory.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Russell H. :

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Russell H. :

The first question to ask about the photo paper is: Is it being inserted correctly ? where is it being inserted, and with the broad side of the paper which way, and how many sheets at a time?

Russell H. :

The second question to ask about the photo paper is: Is it an Epson-intended photo paper, or something more generic, and in either case, what is its name/type/thickness, please?

Russell H. :

Let me know. Thanks.

Customer:

Hi, first question,

Customer:

the paper is loaded in top of machine to the right three sheets at a time with glossy Epson paper240 gsm.

Customer:

The paper is inserted in the top of machine to the right and three sheets at a time with Epson glossy photo paper 240 gsm.

Russell H. :

Try feeding only *one* sheet of paper into the printer at a time, please.

Russell H. :

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Russell H. :

(Since the printer was purchase recently, it is not likely to have a problem with the rollers needing cleaning. - Unless it was sold 'Used' rather than 'New' or 'covered by warranty'. Please tell me the printer's sale status.

Russell H. :

If sold with warranty, you might simply avoid a lot of exasperation by returning it for either a refund, or an exchange for a different equivalent device in working condition.)

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does not make any difference whether you feed the paper singly or multipley, it will feed A4 but not 7x5 or 6x4. The machine was purchased new from through Amazon. I contacted Epson and explained the problem and they exchanged the printer for another one of the same , and guess what !, the same problem, If I load the 7x5 photo paper sideways or

( landscape ) it will feed but print portrait therefore losing half the picture. It seems to me that the information from the computer (where all the pictures are stored ) is not being conveyed to the printer.

Have you selected Landscape printing?

Note, please: When you select Landscape printing in the printer driver (and the program, if it is elaborate enough to have printer settings of its own, as e.g. MS Word does), it does *NOT* mean that you put the paper in the printer in landscape. You put the paper in the printer just as usual. The printer itself rotates the 'image' printed onto the paper appropriately, so that it comes out 'landscape' on the paper.

So, put the paper in the printer narrow-side-first, just as usual, regardless of the dimensions.

And for 5 by 7 inch, or for 4 by 6 inch, you choose 'Custom Size' under Paper Size in the printer driver settings, and then specify those dimensions, the narrow-side dimension first.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience: 11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable