Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

HP Laserjet Printer paper feed is not operating. It is configured

Customer Question

HP Laserjet Printer paper feed is not operating. It is configured and connected to my Lenovo Thinkpad T400 Laptop running Linux Mint 17 OS. I replaced the printer head. When I order a print test page or print job the printer starts up and the top roller rotates. The paper remains in the feed tray. I get a message that the print job is completed but no copy is delivered. I realise the printer is a few years old. Please advise. Leo.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It is odd if paper is not actually fed through the printer but it does not sense a paper jam condition (which is usual in cases where paper is not fed out of the paper tray.)

To be quite clear: When you order a test print, are you ordering it from the computer? try ordering it from the printer itself, if at all possible.

And, when you order a test print, does no paper feed through the printer?

I strongly suspect that (Linux drivers being what they are, often in an imperfect state) you did not get an exact driver match when you installed the driver for this printer. I advise you to get an exact match on the exact model # (as nearly as possible - sometimes there is a subtle ambiguity about HP printer model numbers) and get the exact driver for that model #.

To be sure of the exact model # ***** your printer, look on the manufacturer's label on the back side or the under side of the printer.

If the driver you installed was not for the exact model of printer you have, then disconnect (or at least turn Off) the printer, uninstall the present driver, then restart Linux (probably not necessary, but you never know), then install (if it is indeed a 1018 Laserjet) this driver:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2020&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1814094#N187