Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My brother printer DCP-J315W wont print. It says unable to

My brother printer DCP-J315W wont print. It says unable to print 4F. I have replaced all the inks with Brother inks, but it makes no difference. Please help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
4F is a mechanical error, how old is the machine? Have you tried cleaning it yet?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is 18 months old. I have never cleaned it

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
This error would not let you use the internal cleaning so we need to try by hand.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is a small nub on the cartridges sometimes it is normal for a small amount of ink to come out of that when pushed.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the moment i put in the black ink cartridge, when encouraged to do so, the same no print message came up. I have not put the others in yet.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is a very bad sign, did you happen to get an extended warranty with it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, i doubt it. My husband bought it and died about two months later, very suddenly. Should I buy a new one? Ugh.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I am very sorry to hear that my condolences.
I really hate to tell you this but 4F is a mechanical error with the print head.

That is the part you insert the cartridges into.
When the cleaning does not work this part normally needs to be replaced, however it costs about £75 so most people tend to replace the machine instead.
I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Brother.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you for your help.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and if you would like me to I would be happy to help you find a replacement, if you go that route.
.