Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

SCREEN SHOWS PRINTHEAD CARRIAGE JAM

Customer Question

SCREEN SHOWS PRINTHEAD CARRIAGE JAM
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Can you please tell me the make/model of your printer?

Nathan :

A printhead/carriage jam is not the same thing as a paper jam.

Nathan :

It can be a side effect of a paper jam, but can also be caused by other internal debris, by a bad printhead, bent/damaged rails, or another hardware fault in the carriage drive path such as a bad motor/gear/belt, damaged encoder, etc.

JACUSTOMER-f134x4ef- :

I HAVE ALREADY ETALISHED THAT IT IS NOT A PAPER JAM AND IT IS OBVIOUSLY A MOTOR/GEAR OR BELT FAULT, BUT HOW CAN I CURE IT? THAT IS WHY I CONTACTED YOU.

Nathan :

If you could give me some more specific information, such as the make/model of the printer, I'll be happy to advise on some further cleaning and reset steps you can take.

Nathan :

There is a high likelyhood however that this is the result of actual hardware damage which cannot be resolved economically.

JACUSTOMER-f134x4ef- :

PRINTER KODAK HERO 7.1

Nathan :

Nathan :

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use and is the likely contributor to this fault. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is at the end of its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is unlikely to help. Most of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault, which unfortunately cannot be resolved. These kodak printers were poorly constructed of low quality materials that had short service lives and high failure rates. Kodak actually stopped making printers entirely about 2 years ago, so there are no replacement parts available for them any longer.

What you'll do is first remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. (ear buds and surgical spirits / meths) Dry well, then reseat the cartridges, then remove the entire head (carriage) and do the same with it.

Blow out the inside compartment with compressed air.

Wipe down the "encoder strip". This is a clear plastic strip behind the carriage that runs the width of the printer, be sure there are no smudges of ink/dirt on it.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the mains
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Nathan :

If no change after all of these steps, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. Assuming parts could even be found, repairs would run you £200+. For £70-90 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can try to help with finding (used/refurbished) parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

JACUSTOMER-f134x4ef- :

THANK YOU. UNFORTUNATELY ONLY ONE CARTRIDGE IS PARTIALLY VISIBLE AND CANNOT BE TAKEN OUT.

JACUSTOMER-f134x4ef- :

IT SEEMS AS IF I SHOULD HAVE FOLLOWED MY FIRST INSTINCT AND BUY A NEW PRINTER.

JACUSTOMER-f134x4ef- :

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Nathan :

That is the route I'd go here as well,

Nathan :

though with nothing else to lose, it wouldn't hurt to try forcing the carriage over to better access it and complete the remainder of the steps.

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair