cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have worked on printers at my job for over 7 years.
20109878

kodak esp c315 printer - how to remove the casing and solve

Customer Question

kodak esp c315 printer - how to remove the casing and solve non paper feed, printer not detecting paper
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the printer is of moderate age, you may simply need to clean the paper feed rollers, which are (generally) accessible without much or any disassembly of a printer.

- open the area where the paper feeds in, as much as possible, removing the paper and if possible the tray.
- take a clean, high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and, reaching into the printer with it, firmly rub the paper pickup rollers, three times over their entire paper-contacting surfaces.
- then allow 8+ minutes for drying time, after which time, replace tray / paper / etc., and try the printer again.

Let me know how it goes, or whether your problem is provably different from this sort. I will advise ou further as needed.

If this answers your question satisfactorily, please rate my Answer, so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Printer takes in paper to initial first feed position and then reports "no paper".

That sort of problem, paper feeding in OK but not being detected, is either a paper presence sensor that is not registering or is jammed or fouled, or else a circuit board that is not processing the sensor's signals correctly.

The solution is to either replace the sensor, or replace the board in question (as well as making a number of checks, e.g. that the sensor is actually 'plugged in' or connected to the circuit board properly.)

That would require disassembly of the printer. I presume that the printer is over 1 year from purchase date and thus not within warranty (if it were within warranty, turning it in to Kodak for warranty-covered repair would be the right thing to do - opening it yourself would void the warranty.)

I have no specific information about disassembly. Basically, take off all removable parts like paper trays, remove all ink cartridges and set them aside on their sides on a fourfold-folded paper towel (to blot up spilling ink). Turn the printer upside down, look for screws, take those screws out. When turning upside down, be sure that the scanner cover doesn't come loose or flap around and break.
Proceed with disassembly logically, taking out screws, saving them to one side, noting whether they are of different sizes and if so, where each size goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The only screws available on the base are three small ones holding a small pcb in place.

Then this must be the type where the case screws, that hold the case on, are inside the case. You would have to locate them by lifting covers, etc.

If not such case screws are to be found, you might have one of those disagreeable types of printers that is not really made to be taken apart much - snap-together is not a common system but I've seen it. The plastic snaps that hold things together are tight and rigid enough, but they often break when you undo them.

Having about exhausted what advice I can offer, I have Opted Out, opening the case to others.
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.
You could reinstall the drivers. Sometimes that will help with the paper jam when you don't see any paper jams.
Also go to this site: http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1933/kw/paper%20jam/selected/true
and take out paper tray and follow the instructions in video. If the the gray "pick" roller doesn't make contact with the white roller then you will have to contact Kodak if you are still under warranty. If you aren't under warranty then it might be cheaper to invest in another printer (not sure how much it would cost to send into Kodak or get it fixed independently).