Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Brother Printer DCP J525W. Tried to put in new black ink cartridge

Brother Printer DCP J525W. Tried to put in new black ink cartridge LC1220/1240.
Repeatedly says:- Cannot detect. I have unpacked the cartridge, removed the yellow
sellotape. The printer asks me to turn the knob. What knob? Remove the cover.
What cover?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Michelle :

As you have already removed the protective tape and still the error is getting repeated, there are 2 possibilities

Michelle :

either its the cartridge or the ink sensor causing the fault

Michelle :

however, just as a cross check, please click on below link and check the steps listed and please try them in case you have followed a different process of changing the ink cartridge

Michelle :

let me know once you have tried the steps that whether the error goes off or repeats

Michelle :

i will suggest further accordingly

Customer:

Nothing has changed. The black ink cartridge cannot be detected. Initially I installed and Isotech black cartridge

Customer:

which lasted for 2 days. The coloured Isotech cartridges work. I believe the problem is a faulty sensor with the black cartridge.

Customer:

does this mean I need to buy a new printer or can I buy a new sensor?

Michelle :

no we will have to identify the problem first then only i can tell you whether is with the printer or the black cartridge.

Michelle :

do you have the old black cartridge?

Customer:

Yes

Michelle :

clean the copper contact points on the old black cartridge and then shake the cartridge for 4 to 5 times

Michelle :

install it and try to print something on black and let me know the error you get

Customer:

Cannot detect. Reinstall slowly. As before.

Michelle :

Try to clean the contact point on the carriage head and the try to install the black cartridge

Michelle :

use some alcohol and warm water mixture

Michelle :

dampen a clean lint free cloth and then try to clean the carriage

Customer:

Same as before. Cannot detect.

Michelle :

if that is the result then i am sorry but the sensor on the print head carriage is bad and its time to change the carriage

Customer:

How much does this cost? Is it something I can change myself?

Michelle :

if you have opened printers before then i can suggest you to order a print head carriage and replace it yourself however if you do not have any experience in opening printers then my suggestion is to buy a new printer as the cost of the carraige head is very close to a new printer

Michelle :

the new printer cost on amazon is
Brother DCP-J552DW A4 Colour Inkjet Multifunction Wireless Printer (P…
Buy new: £75.64

Customer:

Thanks for your advise. I will have to get a new printer!

Michelle :

let me know

Michelle :

if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Michelle :

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, effort and the Information you got, then provide a rating by clicking on the smiley below and hit submit and ok to close.

Michelle :

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Justanswer.

Customer:

Yes I am trying.

Michelle :

you may try now.

Michelle :

thank you.