Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Cannot replace black cartridge. Unable to select "Change

Customer Question

Cannot replace black cartridge. Unable to select "Change Cartridges" on panel. Error number I - 02 shown. Printer Stylus Photo R240
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the error is 'E 02', then a cartridge is not being recognized, or is perhaps faulty, or is possibly a refill/remanufactured/rechipped or 'compatible' (as opposed to genuine-Epson-OEM-made) cartridge.

Let me know whether this is the case... error 'I 02' is not recognizable to me, unfortunately. Error I 10 is listed as a memory card absent error.

Try a hard reset:
- while the printer is On, unplug it from the power, sharply and suddenly.
- leave it that way for 15+ minutes.
- plug it in after that interval. Turn it On if necessary - does that clear the error?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The error is definitely I - 02. I have not been able to try the cartridge so it is ok. I have also tried unplugging the machine and that also does not work. Now what?

I apologize but I have no information about an error 'I 02'. I will have to ask for more information about the case, such as:

- how old is the printer?
- has it been working for all that time without problems?
- has its configuration been changed recently, or anything else?
- have you been using Epson original OEM-made cartridges in it? as opposed to refills, remanufactured, or 'compatible' cartridges.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Been working since purchased very well. No configuration changes. Always use Epson cartridges.

How old is the printer, please? measured from its date of purchase.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not known. Several years

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still do not know - some years - say 5 or 6

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not known but probably 5-6 years old

Then it is out of warranty.

At this point the choice is between having the printer replaced (and hopefully, recycled), or having it repaired, at your expense and for an unknown error condition.

If you do want to try having it repaired, be sure to get a quote on the price, and estimate on the charge that is, for the repair, before committing to it being repaired.

If you choose recycling for it, here is information on Epson UK recycling options:

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/cms/index/279
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pity you cannot suggest a solution. Paid a fee for no result.

A last thing to try:

- pull the power plug on the printer, while it is On.
- leave it that way, unplugged, for 6+ hours or overnight.
- plug in again, just to the power, and turn it On if necessary.

and see if it acts better that way. If not, then try this other last-ditch effort if you wish:

- take out all the cartridges, set them aside, on their sides, on a fourfold-folded piece of paper towel.
- close up the printer without cartridges in it, and turn it Off with the power switch.
- leave it turned Off for at least 2 minutes.
- then turn it On again, and let it decide on how it regards ***** ***** lack of ink cartridges in it. (Let me know what the printer shows and says, on its own controls/panel/display, at this point, please.)
- Follow whatever directions it gives at this point, e.g. if it says 'no cartridge'(s) or says that some color of cartridge is missing, put the cartridge(s) / that color back in.
- if it merely shows an error message and no indication as to what to do at this point, let me know.

(I may have declared the printer a hopeless case a little too early, perhaps. If you would like to put further effort into it, I'm willing to advise your further.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Took the printer to my local expert who fixes the problem in minutes for no charge!

I am glad to hear that the problem was solved by whatever means.

What did the solution prove to be? I would be interested to hear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All corrected in minutes at no cost. My £11 did not buy me much!!!

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at JustAnswer.com. Please feel welcome to return at any time to ask another question, in any one of our numerous categories.

(Since you did not approve any Answer of mine, your deposited amount, whatever it may be, will still be usable in the future toward another question, I think.)