Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I am trying to print cards. A4 is perfect but printer only

Customer Question

I am trying to print cards. A4 is perfect but printer only prints half the picture when using custom sized cards
Category: Printers
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My printer is HP photo smart model 5524. The problem seems to be my not finding a way to set up the printer in order to print on a card 21 cms wide by 42 cms long. It prints perfectly on a sheet of A 4. When I use the cards it prints the second half of the picture right at the top of the card. I have set up the layout sideways to cope with the shape of the cards as the printer is too narrow to take the cards the other way round. I have been making cards for years but this is a new computer and printer. I have windows 8 now. i used to use windows XP proffesional and had no trouble. I hate windows 8 I feel like a complete novice and an idiot. Linda

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.
You say that your layout prints perfectly on A$, which is 21 cm x 29.7 cm. This is a different aspect ratio than your card stock, which you say is 21cm x 42 cm. The aspect ratio of your card stock is 2:1, while the aspect ratio of A4 paper is (square root of 2):1.
I am not clear about how your layout, which presumably would fill the page exactly on the card stock, can print perfectly on A4 paper. How is this possible, since the paper is not as long as the card stock? Perhaps you meant that a standard A4 layout will print in folded format.
Then you say that you had to turn your layout sideways. Why is this necessary, since both sizes would be inserted with their long edge in the vertical direction? The printer software is designed to print in a folded paper format only in this one direction. The content is rotated 90 degrees automatically to make the fold be the vertical direction.
YOU HAVE THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IN THE QUESTION STATEMENT ITSELF. THIS PRINTER IS DESIGNED TO COMPUTE THE FOLDED PAGE LAYOUT ONLY FOR STANDARD SIZES. YOUR PREVIOUS PRINTER HAD THE CAPABILITY TO DO THIS FOR YOUR CUSTOM SIZED CARD STOCK, BUT YOUR NEW PRINTER DOES NOT.
Frequently, it happens that newer models have simplified the way they implement complex functions, in order to lower the cost and improve the efficiency of production. In this way, they are able to offer more functionality to more people at a lower price point.
The prices of these amazingly capable electromechanical products are always dropping. Unfortunately, the capability of advanced functions must be reduced as well. If you want more capability in a new product, you will need to consider purchasing a more expensive printer with more advanced functions.