Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Printer message says "Printhead carriage jam" -with instructions

Printer message says "Printhead carriage jam" -with instructions to open printer access door...clear obstruction.. Have opened the relevant door cannot see any obstruction but the printhead is to the extreme left and can't be got at or moved.
Please help. Kodak hero 7.1
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Michelle :

Try to manually grab the printhead and gently (use force if necessary, but be slow about it, not a sharp jerking motion) slide it over to the side, so you can see on both sides of it ,as well as under it.

Michelle :

blow air in the printing area to dislodge anything that might be getting stuck

Michelle :

You can also try taking a piece of thick paper like card stock, and sliding it (from the front, where a printed page would come out) under the carriage, to dislodge anything that may be under it.

Michelle :

turn on and check if you still get the error or it goes off

Customer:

Why has she stepped out?? Before we have had time ti try the piece of thick paper???

Customer:

I don't want to pay for this 'help'!!!

Customer:

oh please Michell stepped out again before I had time to see she had stepped back!!!

Customer:

Right- good- thanks but so far no success with what we have tried.:-)

Customer:

Please what is happening - just locating a piece of stiff card...

Michelle :

even if my status shows stepped out i am still online and working on your case

Michelle :

please turn off and unplug power cord

Michelle :

keep the ON button pressed for 10 secs

Michelle :

wait for 2 mins

Michelle :

plug in power cord and turn on

Customer:

Thanks -have tried pushing paper in as suggested and will now try switching on again.

Michelle :

let me know if error repeats

Customer:

just waiting the two mins

Michelle :

ok

Customer:

Oh dear-just got the same carriage jammed message

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

was there any paper jam recently in the printer

Customer:

It was not as though I had been printing - The jammed message came when I had just switched the pc on -

Michelle :

ok and now after trying the above steps does the carraige move freely or seems to be stuck at one end

Customer:

No paper jammed - husband just tried moving the stiff paper in again - no joy.

Customer:

Yes carriage is still stuck at one end.

Michelle :

when you turn on does it give any grinding sound

Customer:

Yes it does -similar to the sound you would expect to hear to begin with...

Michelle :

ok so no abnormal noises as such

Michelle :

its the normal starytup sound

Michelle :

how old is this printer

Customer:

Probably 3/4 years old - but do not do a lot of printing-

Michelle :

now there are possibilities..either there is something stuck or there is an internal carriage jam. i will give below the manual cleaning that we can try....you can try these steps to remove any obstruction that could have caused this...

Michelle :

remove the cartridge...turn off the unit....unplug the power cable...manually slide the carriage assembly\ printhead back and forth(atleats try moving it ..if its stuck, try the next step)
also clean the rail against which the assembly slides with a tissue ensuring that there is no ink residue on it
clean the golden contacts of the cartridges and the printhead with a cotton swab dipped in little alcohol
once these steps have been done follow the below steps as well
manually move the printhead to far left
on the far right there is a little white plastic tab that is spring loaded
just check that if its not getting jammed
push the tab towards the front of the printer
once done just turn on and check the status

Michelle :

if still error repeats turn off and unplug power cord

Michelle :

lift printer upside down and shake a bit

Michelle :

then turn on and check

Michelle :

let me know the status

Customer:

Well have now tried turning it upside down and shaking it a bit - and still no good.

Michelle :

well the symptoms seem not to be good

Michelle :

i am afraid that i have to be the one to inform you that this is indeed an internal carriage jam

Michelle :

all steps possible to clear it manually seem to have not helped and clearing this would require the printer to be disassembled

Michelle :

the unit would need to be service to clear the jam

Michelle :

you will need to get the printer serviced. once the jam is cleared the printer would work as normal

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

Michelle :

i hope you understand that in case of hardware fault or mechanical jam i can only suggest steps to rectify it but cannot make a bad part work again or clear an internal jam

let me know if you have any questions

please click on smiley face\stars to rate my service if you are satisfied with the information recieved

Thanks for choosing just answer

Customer:

Thanks -sorry problem not solved on this route.

Michelle :

i understand that i have not bee bale to fix this for you

Michelle :

but please understand that through remote access i can only suggest what is the cause of the error..had the cleaning steps worked out and problem would have bene fixed for this same information you would have rated me good

Michelle :

since its an internal jam that you cannot clear yourself, you have rated me negatively

Michelle :

i would appreciate if you would consider rerating my service as i have give you the correct information about this issue

Michelle :

hoping for your reconsideration on my rating

Michelle :

thanks for choosing just answer

Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors