Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Kodak AIO printer, Model number ESP C110. Every time

I have a Kodak AIO printer, Model number ESP C110. Every time I try to print, I get the message ' Unable to detect paper edge. Press ok to continue (Code 3520)' When I then prees ok, the paper runs straight through the printer without printing.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
If you make a copy from the scanner glass what happens? Even if you normally do not use that please do so now to let me know what it does.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The same thing happens.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is the code 3520 the same as well?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok let's try updating the firmware to do that what version of windows or mac is on your computer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

windows 8.1 my desk top PC

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Thank you, ***** ***** and run this: Click Here This will update it to the latest firmware. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when I downloaded, got the message "There are no firmware updates available"

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately that would mean you already have the latest firmware installed. What type of paper are you using?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

recently I used Lazertran Inkjet paper (waterslide decal paper for inkjet printers) It worked fine for abour 12 copies

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Are you using normal paper now? If you are what size is it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, the paper that goes straight through is "Multi premium high white matt paper 100gsm. have been using this for sometime.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Do you have any standard copy/printer paper rather than matte, photo, or decal paper? If not we can try with the matte. Remove all paper from the machine and turn the machine off. Then unplug it and open the paper guides all the way. If you have any put 1 sheet standard copy paper into the machine or the matte paper. Plug the machine in and turn it on. Once it is on move the paper guides to the edges of the sheet and try making a copy from the glass again. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Message " Printhesd cartridge jam...etc" there seems to be no obstruction and installation of printhead and cartrideges appear ok. This did happen a few times before & then corrected itself, but happens each time now.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That actually makes sense a carriage jam could show a false paper error. If you open the machine as if to change ink cartridges do they move over to you?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No they don't move over automaticaly. I have just found a short piece of broken spring type wire inside at one end

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign and they should move over automatically to you. How old is the printer? The carriage should move freely by hand does it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The printer quite a few years old now. The carriage moves by hand, but it is a little stiff

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have done that. The craddle moved fairly freely. Cannot recalibrate, as printhead jam message shows all the time. When I press ok, the carraige makes a few 'clunking ' noises. I guess it must be damaged!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, I was afraid you were going to say something like that. The clunking noise is what occurs if the carriage has nothing to stop it from slamming into the side (This is what the spring was part of). In order to fix this the carriage assembly which the cartridges and print head sits inside of needs to be replaced. This however can be expensive and on Kodak printers unless you are under warranty it tends to be cheaper to replace the machine so I would call around for a price first. If you decide to go the route of replacing it instead I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kodak.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it would be more sensible to replace the printer. It is not under warranty. I will do my own research for a new one. I know that Kodak do not make printers any more. Anyway thanks for your help.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Kodak printers actually are sold however I would not recommend them. The company had basically went bankrupt so it is hard to say what kind of support you would get with one. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Kodak.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience