Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Canon Selphy CP910 Printer. It keeps teling me that the cartridge

Canon Selphy CP910 Printer. It keeps teling me that the cartridge and the paper are not compatible. I have already phoned the cartridge people and they say that it is the correct cartridge for that printer.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Then what is the paper? is it anything in the least unusual? not made by Canon?

What is the exact and full error message from the Canon printer? does it appear on the printer itself, or on the computer screen (if any) ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russell

The paper came with the Canon cartridge (credit card size). As it seemed to be slipping around in the tray I tried some 6x4 which I had but the following message once again appeared on the screen:

"Paper and ink cassette sizes do not match. Insert matching paper and ink cassettes."

Most frustrating!

Beth Campbell

I suspect that a common problem has been encountered: 6 by 4 inch paper is of course not square. If you present the long side when you should be presenting the short side (or vice versa: presenting the short side when you should be presenting the long side), the printer will sense a paper size mismatch... in the sense that it is getting 4 by 6 when it should be getting 6 by 4, if you see what I mean.

Place the blank paper stock in the other orientation, and let me know if that solves the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand what you you said but I put the paper (credit size) which came with the Canon cartridge in FIRST and the message which I sent to you came up. I only put the 6x4 in to see if it was the small size which was the problem. So if what you say regarding the 6x4 is correct why does it reject the smaller size?

Please:

What side of the paper stock was facing into the printer? the broad side or the narrower side?

Whichever side was put facing into the printer before, when it didn't work, should be put in the other way.
(As for orientation of printout, if necessary, choose 'Landscape' orientation in the printer's driver settings, before sending the print job. That should take care of the orientation not seeming right with regard to your print job.)

By and large, paper goes into printers with the narrower side first - esp. true with larger/longer sizes, where the broad side could not go into the printer first, period.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russell

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I have been trying out your suggestion. I fact I thought that I had solved the problem but no. The ink cartridge which I have is for the credit size paper. However, when I put the correct paper in the printer it still rejected it.

I am very disappointed with Canon as I have had Canon cameras for years and always been delighted with them.

I thank you for your time and effort but I have wasted enough time so I am returning the printer.

I will not be giving you a "smiley face" but it is not your fault.

Beth Campbell

I feel regret that my suggestions did not cure the case.

Canon does make good cameras... and no printer maker is inevitably perfect in all cases. (I know that last, because I have been providing advice about all and any manufacturer's printers.)

I think that trying an exchange for an equivalent printer of the same model, might be worth trying. Canon (and all other makers of printers) do sometimes make a poor product in the individual case.

However it goes, allow me to wish you good luck.

(Please remember, giving my Answer a poor rating will reflect upon my efforts, not the website nor the manufacturer... which I am not afilliated with in any way.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry about that. I will give you a"smiley face" as it wasn't your fault it didn't work out.

That's very decent of you, Mrs. Campbell.

I hope you will feel welcome to return, at any time, to ask another question in any one of our numerous categories here at JustAnswer.com. Thanks again, and good luck.