Engineer John C.
Engineer John C., Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified and 10 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a Canon iP3000 printer which has stopped printing. It

Customer Question

I have a Canon iP3000 printer which has stopped printing. It started with poor print quality, so I cleaned the heads, several times, but the black didn't print at all. Now the colours have stopped printing. The cleaning mechanism is pulling ink through the heads as they are wet underneath, ie, the heads output are wet.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How did you clean it? How old is the machine? Have you ever replaced anything other than the ink cartridges?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried a couple of second hand heads which were worn out. I also replaced the black cartridge a couple of times to eliminate that as a fault. I purchased this printer for £10.00 last week so I don't know its age. I have purchased other second hand printers over the last few years; I have 3 units in my shed with various faults, eg the appearance of being mains dead, the head moving but not printing, and the cleaning mech gears clattering and sounding is if the gear teeth are worn/stripped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I cleaned the head by steaming it with the kettle. I have done this a few times in the past with good results.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I am in the USA so I apologize for the delay in reply. The second hand head how was it worn out? If the nozzles were worn it would not work to test this as completely worn nozzles will always print blank.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The second hand head was patr worn, giving print quality below normal. It would have at least printed if the fault was just the head. I understand these bubble jet printers vaporise the in, so that would suggest a lack of power to this function. I will add that I am a retired TV engineer.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok if it was printing low quality please try a cleaning and let me know if the same thing happens with this head after a cleaning. As of right now what you are describing sounds like a logic board failure.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already tried that till I was sick of it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
With the second head? I thought you had only done it with the old one. Do you have the same model you are pulling parts from? There are two things that can cause this and we could use the parts from one to test in the other. The first would be the logic board. The part number on the board would be qk1-0786-03.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The second hand head was storred in its box. Could the machine with the cleaning gears fault have a good logic board? Can you describe its position in the printer and what it looks like.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Yes it is possible the only way to find out for sure is to try a known good one. Here is a picture of it as for the position in the machine, you pretty much need to take the entire thing apart to get to it. I apologize but I am going to need to opt out and open this to all experts.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/fxyniv.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, but please don't cause my bill to increase beyond what you have already charged me.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will give it another day, but I feel the printer is not worth expensive prolonged investigation.

I am closing the computer now until tomorrow; bear in mind the time difference here in the UK.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can close this question and return your good faith deposit to the original funding source on request.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,

Adam