Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My printer is pixma iP7250. The smaller black cartridge is

My printer is pixma iP7250. The smaller black cartridge is fine when the lid is open but as soon as it is closed it pops up and the light goes out on it, the orange light flashes 15 times and of course the printer will not work. I put it back and the light goes on but close the lid and the same thing happens. I have replaced the cartridge with a new one even though it was not empty but it has made no difference. What can I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.

.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Are you using genuine Canon ink? Does it ever flash green?
.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I use compatible cartridges and have always done so without any trouble as they are so much cheaper. I have never seen a green flash

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
This error means the ink tank is not recognized which can be caused by non-genuine cartridges, which can also damage the print head. Genuine cartridges are more expensive because they clean the print head as the ink flows through, generic and refilled inks clog and wear out the nozzles. Can you try genuine cartridges for me?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I will buy some and do as you say but will they work if the print head is damaged?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately the only way to tell if the print head is damaged is to try genuine cartridges but if they do the same thing the print head would need to be replaced. As long as you cap/tape off the cartridges when waiting for a new print head they should work with the new one. However the print head can be expensive so you may want to call around for a price first and see if you can find a used one. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.