Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

Canon Pixma 5350. Magenta, despite a new ink tank being installed

Customer Question

Canon Pixma 5350. Magenta, despite a new ink tank being installed does not print. I have checked the small air hole is not obstructed and the spongy bottom is moist with red ink. On a print nozzle check the print out shows PGBK, C C C, Y and BK but M M M are all blank.
Help
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Nathan :

I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it's probably time for a new printer. This is a 2011 model, and was built for a 3 year service life - they aren't worth repairing as the long term fix is to replace the printhead, an £75 part, while you can buy a brand new and updated printer with a fresh warranty for the same price or less.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.