Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

my canon mg6350 just prints blank pages. Am using Mac. All

my canon mg6350 just prints blank pages. Am using Mac. All colour cartridges empty but have new black one. Have tried saying print black and white etc. Tried pdfs, docs etc. Websites print a bit in pale red but black just does not work!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Customer:

Great. Do you have any suggestions?

Nathan :

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it's probably time for a new printer, as this model is nearly at the end of its 3 year service life, and they aren't worth fixing (replacing the head costs as much or more than a new printer)

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Nathan :

I will add as well that part of the problem here, and a cause of concern, is that the colors are empty. If you let them stay empty, whether you actually ever print in color or not, you'll do further damage to the printer, so even if you do get it working here with the cleaning steps, it is imperative that you put in new color cartridges.

Customer:

Will try doing the clean print head.

Customer:

Although the printer is old, it has hardly been used... Am running the cleaning process now....Will get back to you once it's finished and I have tried to print. Actually, I have an hp printer (not wireless) that has run beautifully with just the black cartridge for years...

Nathan :

Some of the older ones will manage, but the newer inkjets will overheat and burn out if they run dry at all

Nathan :

and this model actually isn't that old, about 2.5 years probably, but little use is actually worse than excessive use for inkjets

Nathan :

as it causes them to dry out and clog up

Customer:

yes, I see what you are saying. I printed and it came out blank. The printer asked me if I wanted to do some sort of a test. I said yes and it has pinter out bars! It then asked me another question and I chose B and it said that the head was clogged and it needed to do a deep clean, which it is now doing...I could not work out the correct answer to the question as I have no colour so I will answer A next time.

Nathan :

OKay let it run through the deep clean, hopefully that will improve somewhat

Customer:

Oh, dear. Now it has stopped and told me that the blue has run out and to replace it. Can I bypass this? I do not want to spend another sixty pounds if the printer is never going to work again anyway.

Nathan :

No, you cannot.

Nathan :

It will force you to replace the inks before it will get any further in the alignment process.

Nathan :

Honestly, I'd bin the whole thing and buy a new machine. You'd get a new printer with a fresh warranty and a bundle of inks for the same price as you'd spend just to refill this one.

Customer:

So, basically, I probably should cut my losses (your fees and the new black ink cartridge) and plug in my jolly old hp which works beautifully, if not wirelessly?

Nathan :

That would be my recommendation, and if you need color you can buy a new system (or invest further in this one).

Customer:

Well, the hp prints OK in colour when I can afford the cartridges. As I am not into photographic printing, I think I will get by. My only slight concern is that a potentially good bit of kit is getting scrapped. Having said that, my son did have problems of some sort, from the moment that he bought it and seemed very happy to send it in my direction. I suppose I could take it into a local firm of PC suppliers and offer it to them for nothing. They might be able to fix it and sell it on.

Nathan :

I suppose you could buy some cheap refilled cartridges for the canon, if you wanted to pursue further at minimal cost.

Customer:

My understanding is that the refilled cartridges do more harm than good....

Nathan :

Generally, that is true.

Nathan :

But it may get you by shortly, just from a diagnostic perspective, to complete the cleaning steps.

Nathan :

I'd still be inclined to just move on though. Or as you said you could perhaps donate, maybe to a school that has a tech program that the kids could fiddle with it.

Customer:

That is a good idea!

Customer:

Thanks for your patience. Will give good rating. It is not your fault that the printer is wrecked.

Nathan :

You're very welcome, and thank you, ***** ***** appreciate that.

Nathan, Engineer
Experience: Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair