carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Hardware Engineer
69505510

My Canon Pixma MG6150 printer will not print anything from

Customer Question

My Canon Pixma MG6150 printer will not print anything from my Windows 8.1 laptop. It used to print fine when first installed, using wifi and usb. Now it only prints from a windows 7 desktop using a usb connection. I have tried re installing the drivers, I have tried adjusting the firewall settings, nothing works. The printer is detected by the laptop fine, and I can scan from printer to laptop via usb and wifi, just not print anything.
Everytime I click print, the job is qued then after a minute or so the laptop tells me there is an error printing the job. No error code, nothing. Any further attempts just stacks the jobs up in the print que. It works fine using desktop windows 7 PC. The Printer also uses a lot of ink now, with the print head needing to clean several times before every job. Is this related?
Category: Printers
Expert:  carlday1 replied 2 years ago.
carlday1 :

HI,

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Have you installed the latest drivers from canon on your windows 8.1 pc.

They are available here

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifunctionals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG6150.aspx?type=download&language=EN&os=Windows%208.1

It has not been updated since 2013 so you proberly have the right driver but if you could check that would be great.

The ink problem I think is unrelated do you use canon ink or refilled compatible inks?

Customer:

Customer:

I downloaded the drivers from Canon when I go the laptop in September last year. I can try re downloading if you think will help. The printer worked fine for several weeks with my laptop on usb connection and wifi. Then suddenly stopped after long period of not being used.

Customer:

The inks are compatible ones, not canon specific. Stopped using cannon ones after the costs rose when I had to change them every few weeks. Printer needs to clean print head several times and wastes lots of ink.

carlday1 :

I think the best thing is to uninstall the printer driver and any canon software installed on the computer and then install in all again.

carlday1 :

I agree that canon inks are very expensive but I think in might be worth running a set of canon ink through the printer. Compatible inks often are the wrong consistency and cause print head problems like you have.

carlday1 :

here is a guide on removing printers in windows 8

https://www.sin.cvut.cz/?q=en/how-remove-printer-and-its-drivers-windows-8

Customer:

Ok, I will try using Canon ink for the print head issue. Re the communication issue with laptop and Printer I have tried re-installing drivers before and a system restore to point when all was working. It didn't work. But will try again with newly downloaded drivers.

carlday1 :

Thank you let me know how you get on i would remove all of the printer software and drivers first.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your help. Drivers were already up to date. You were right, i needed to delete everything related to the printer before re-installing drivers again. seems I missed the Canon utilility software when I uninstalled last time. Once I uninstalled that and re installed, all working again now.