Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience:  Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing
33155275

I have Canon iP4200 which has worked well with photo

I have Canon iP4200 which has worked well with photo printing, but suddenly the colours are wrong. Everything is printing with a pinkishcolour. I can overcome this by adjusting & compensating the colours with the originals, but as I'm printing about 200 per week, it's labour intensive to keep changing stuff. Any ideas please?

Category: Printers
Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting your question. My name is Sowrav and I will try to help you today.

Did you try anything to solve this problem ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've tried several deep cleans, and also changed the ink cartriges.

The photo prints fine if I overcompensate with the colour before printing.

I could only think it was either the print-head was kaputt, or a software issue.

There was no warning signs, everything was OK, and then when used again everything is pinkish in colour, so it was not progressive but instant.

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Do you face this problem, only with photos ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, colours are fine when I print compliment slips

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** *****'t know, if you will like my honest answer or not, because the problem you are facing can be caused by two things. One, defective printhead and two defective logic board, which send operate the printhead. Unfortunately at home, it is not possible to check with a spare printhead for confirming the exact issue. In service centers we can do that. Although, in most of cases, it is seen that, the problem was caused due to the printhead and in some cases it is the logic board.

I am extremely sorry for this answer, please reply me back, if you want to know the steps for replacing the printhead, but before that remove the printhead following the steps below then, clean the copper/gold contacts on it with a cotton swab and distilled water.

Remove the print head or ink tanks properly following the procedure below.

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on and open the top cover. The print head moves to the replacement position.

Note: When the top cover is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the top cover, and open it again.

2. Open the paper output tray and pull down the inner cover.

3. Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank.

Note: Handle the ink tanks with care so that your clothes and surrounding area do not get soiled. When replacing multiple ink tanks, make sure to replace one by one.

4. When removing the print head, raise the print head lock lever first.

To reinstall the Print Head and Ink Tanks

1. Place the print head in the holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

2. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

Press the mark 'PUSH' on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

3. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

<1> The ink tanks are installed properly.

<2> The ink tanks are not installed properly.

Note: <Ink Tank Lamp> You can check the status of each ink tank according to the way its lamp flashes.

- On: The printer is ready to print.

- Slow flashing (at about three second interval): Ink is low. Prepare a new ink tank.

- Fast flashing (at about one second interval): Ink tank is empty, or the printer is not ready due to an error.

- Off: An error has occurred and the printer is not ready to print.

4. Put back the inner cover and close the top cover.

Note: When starting printing next time, the print head cleaning launches automatically.
During the print head cleaning, the Power lamp flashes green. Do not do other operations until the flashes stops.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand with the printhead, and I do have a spare printhead from another iP4200 printer, but are you saying to replace the print head or clean it please?

What is the logic board is this in the printer or in my PC please?

Expert:  Sowrav D. replied 2 years ago.
First cleaned the printhead then check the result, if the problem persists then, check with the spare printhead. If you still face the problem then, it is logic board, which is defective.

Logic board is the board in the printer, which controls all the functions of the various parts, like when we print in draft mode, it send signal to the printhead to use less ink, when we use best quality, it send the signal for using more ink for better quality and many more functions like this.

I am not telling you to replace the logic board, because the replacement cost of the board is nearly same as the price of a new printer.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Experience: Completed Course In Computer Hardware and Printer Repairing