Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have error code 5011 and the on line manual MG5550

I have error code 5011 and the on line manual for my MG5550 has no answer. Can you please help? tel XXX XXXXX and email *****@******.***

Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
If you open it does the ink move over?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, the ink carriage does not move, but there is plenty of ink in the cartridges.

Jb

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried your idea to move carriage, but after turning on,the same error message,so no go --- yet!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Did they move freely? Are they still stuck?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the carriage moved OK, but still stationary after switching back on.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok if they moved freely they are not the problem, we checked because you said they may be stuck originally which can cause false errors, but 5011 is a scanner mechanism error. How old is your printer?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Less than 6 months old!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You should still have a warranty then unless you bought it used or refurbished.In order to fix this the scanner mechanism needs to be replaced. Sometimes it can be a ribbon cable causing the issue but opening it would void the warranty. Instead call this number 44(###) ###-####Normally a replacement machine will be sent out since you are under warranty to replace yours. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.