Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

hello Freddy, I have an Epson XP-810 showing error code 0xF1,

Customer Question

hello Freddy, I have an Epson XP-810 showing error code 0xF1, any clues?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
If you open the machine are the ink cartridges stuck on the right side?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Freddy, they are parked on the right side but move easily and smoothly if I push them.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Open printer so that the cartridge housing is accessible (flip the scanner housing up). Turn printer off.
While printer is off, gently slide cartridge housing to the left about halfway.

Turn printer on. After cartridge housing moves all the way to the right (which it will do on startup), gently push up and back on the housing and continue pressing/gently jiggling as the housing tries to free itself.

Eventually, the housing will snap back to the left which will stop tripping the error message. It can take quite a few tries (I've done it as many as 15 times before seeing results.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't move on startup, it briefly tells me to close the scanner then defaults to printer error error code 0xF1

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
There is a plastic strip attached to the back of it. Clean that as best you can and then repeat the same steps I just gave you again.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same again I'm afraid

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Try starting here please. Turn printer on. After cartridge housing moves all the way to the right (which it will do on startup), gently push up and back on the housing and continue pressing/gently jiggling as the housing tries to free itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cartridge housing does not move at all, doesn't appear to even try and move, it flags an error as soon as the printer turns on.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
If it is on the right already that is normal. Gently push up and back on the housing and continue pressing/gently jiggling as the housing tries to free itself.

Eventually, the housing will snap back to the left and should stop tripping the error message. It can take quite a few tries (I've done it as many as 15 times before seeing results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have relocated it on the right and turned it on and off several times, there does not appear to be any attempt by the printer to move the head. A white plastic gear on the LHS with a triangularish section on its left rotates forwards about 90 deg the returns to its original position then the alarm goes. The cartridge housing seems very free, what attaches it to the drive and what sensor do you think is throwing up the error?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It is not a sensor the error is a carriage error caused by the encoder timing strip. How old is the printer? Did you get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Only a few months actually so probably in warranty, just irritating as I need it pretty soon!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Call this number: 01952 607 111 I believe it is closed today. In order to fix this the carriage unit normally needs to be replaced. When under warranty the machine itself is normally replaced. They may have you try the same things again, they have to do this before being able to send out a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Freddy, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Cheers.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome and If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Epson.
.