VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

My printer quality of copy has been deteriorating over the

Customer Question

My printer quality of copy has been deteriorating over the past few weeks. It has been set to gray/black by the IT man as it has not printed colour for some months.
The cartridges are all good on ink.
last week font 16 printing to my cousins - a weekly letter was O.K.
GW, Glos.
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 2 years ago.
<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"CustomerSystems :

Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Sorry that you are currently experiencing a clogged Printhead/Printhead Blockage Build Up.

What is the make and model of the Print so I can best assist you Sir or Madame?

JACUSTOMER-n0ojfjid- :

I was on the DCP-115c help 'page' so I assumed you knew the model no.

JACUSTOMER-n0ojfjid- :

So now you know the model no. I await advice.

Ok, I will post your solution here in two/2 hours or less.

More then likely it is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

Or

Steps to clean Brother DCP-110C print head

1. Tools for the project: flat head screw driver, philip head screw driver, rubbing alcohol, tape and some paper towel.
    001 - Tools for Project
    Full Size Image

2. Printer something, such as printer quality check sheet. While the print head is away from the home position, dis-connect power to the printer so print head is not in the home position. If the printer head is at the home position, it can not be moved and impossible to clean.

3. Dis-assemble DCP-110C to expose the print head. These is an excellent YouTube video on how to Disassembling brother DCP-115C, which is almost the same as DCP-110C except the print head.
    002 -Disassemabled DCP-110C
    Full Size Image

4. While the print head is away from home position, slide a small strip of paper towel under print head.

5. Drop some rubbing alcohol on the paper towel.
    003 - Add Rubbing Alcohol to Paper Towel
    Full Size Image

6. Wrap the alcohol soaked paper towel around print head and let it sit for ten minutes. You may repeat this step more times until all four color come out.
    004 - Wrap Paper Towel with Alcohol Around Print Head
    Full Size Image

7. Re-assemble the printer and print a test sheet. If it is not good, repeat steps 3 to 7 until print is good or you give up.
    005 - Print Head Fixed
    Full Size Image

A video that will help is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DumEPlGj1U

You can also buy a new Printhead if you so desire. Let me know if that is your choice.

Chime in when ready....

JACUSTOMER-n0ojfjid- :

Thank you for the information., I will ry tomorrow of Friday as I have a meretingtonite and am required as a volunteer ar a Motrr Museum Thursday

OK, not an issue Sir or Madame...

JACUSTOMER-n0ojfjid- :

Thank you fort the info.I will try tomorrow, or Friday - as I have a meeting tonite and am required (as a volunteer) at a nearby Motoring Museum on Thursday

OK, not an issue Sir or Madame..

VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience: I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.