Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I have an Epson printer scanner copier XP-212. It prints correctly

I have an Epson printer scanner copier XP-212. It prints correctly from my laptop but when I try to copy a document it is printing only alternate stripes not the whole document. It is just out of warranty, purchased last January 3rd.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

When you copy, is that in black only or color mode? If unsure, can you test for me?

Nathan :

Can you also try a scan to your computer and tell me how that shows up,

Nathan :

and also try printing from computer to printer, but set it to black only (grayscale) mode)?

Customer:

It is printing the colour ok, problem appears to be in the black printing of the copy. I have put in 2 new black cartridges in case there was a problem with the first cartridge, but that has not solved it. Printing from the computer is fine as is the scanning. Just appears to be a copy problem.

Nathan :

I would like you to test a print in black only mode specifically.

Nathan :

You likely aren't noticing a problem with prints because unless you set it to black only mode when printing, it fills in colors as well as black, even for black text

Customer:

ok.

Nathan :

Customer:

Hmm. Yes there is a problem here too. When I printed only in black it did the same - ie missed out whole bands of the text.

Nathan :

OKay thanks for checking, that is exactly what I expected

Nathan :

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function, if it doesn’t work try it a second time. If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Customer:

I have already tried the automated cleaning a couple of times so do not think that will sort it. What are the replacement options please?

Nathan :

I mean to replace the printer,

Nathan :

if the cleaning didn't help, then the head would have to be replaced. The part alone costs more than a new printer, and labor costs will easily double it (you can't do it yourself).

Nathan :

I'd actually recommend another epson,

Nathan :

but not the XP series, I'd stick with the workforce series which tend to be more reliable and better built

Customer:

Ok I wondered if that was what you meant! Thank you for your time and trouble anyway.

Nathan :

Here is a model I'd suggest.

Nathan :

And you're welcome, I'm sorry there isn't a quicker fix here.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan