Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

morning, i have a canon MP610 home printer, which has worked

Customer Question

morning, i have a canon MP610 home printer, which has worked beautifully for years,having had quests staying someone has done something and i cannot work out how to reset it, on asking it to print from comp it brings up 'printer offline', i have never printed from it as a wireless printer so do not know what has happened, have gone through settings but am unable to change wireless print settings from saying"OK", I am assuming this setting has been changed by someone, can you help??
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lisa! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed printer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Are you still able to make a copy on the printer?

Is the printer connected to the computer with a cable? Or is it wireless?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer?

Can we do a remote support session, so we can chat, and I will be able to help you directly?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cannot do a remote dont think.

I can connect remotely to your computer, so I can fix the printing issue directly on your computer together with you.

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no cannot do remotely just need to know how to reset for cable printing not wireless

OK, no problem. Please let me know the followings first:

1. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer?

2. To confirm, you have a printer USB cable right (for connecting the printer to the computer)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mac, and usb cable.

Thank you. One more thing: Are you still able to make a copy on the printer (not print from the computer)?

When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have seen you have replied but cannot open it, could you send again please

Did you see my previous question: Are you still able to make a copy on the printer (not print from the computer)? Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes lets try again - I am able to make a copy on the comp.

Thank you. Please do the followings:

1. Please disconnect the printer USB cable from the computer for now.
  2. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top left, then select System Preferences..., then open Print & Fax (or Print & Scan.)
  3. Select the Canon... printer
  4. Click on the - (minus) icon at the bottom left, and remove/delete the printer for now.
  5. Make sure printer is powered on.
  6. Reconnect the printer USB cable from the printer to the computer.
  7. Click on the + (plus) icon at the bottom left, and it should detect your Canon printer, then add it.
  8. Check printing.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is not detecting my printer now, therefore cannot add it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oh boy dont think i disconnected the usb before going into preferences...

That's okay. Please make sure the printer cable is securely connected / pushed all the way in both the printer and the computer, then add printer. If needed, please try other USB ports on the computer, then add printer. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well it is saying 'm

'no printers available' and if i click on default - ' last printer used' nothing happens

Sorry, so in System Preferences -> Print & Fax (or Print & Scan), you click on the + (plus) button, and it does not detect your printer?

Is a USB drive, if you have, working on your computer?

Do you have another USB printer cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

correct, so in clicking on + no printer detected.

dont know how to check USB drive on comp.

dont have another cable

Do you have a USB flash drive or USB external hard drive?

And/or do you have another computer to test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no to both - sorry

I'm sorry, then we cannot test for hardware issue. You can try restarting the computer, then see if it detects the printer when you add. If needed, can you borrow a printer USB cable whenever you can to test the printer? Or get it for a few bucks from your local computer store. Also, if possible, borrow a USB drive to test the USB port on the computer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well the prob is now i have no ADD to click as it does'nt detect any printer, and now doesnt bring up thst option when i go into 'printers' in system preferences.

When you go to System Preferences, then Print & Fax (or Print & Scan), you will always see the + (plus) button at the bottom left. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi yes i have that - sorry, but it has against info - name;no selection -

location;no selection, nothing will high light therefore i cannot add anything, it is on default (for last printer) but nothing will highlight to let me enter a name to add.... any ideas??

I'm sorry, you don't enter / type anything; if it detects the printer, then you just select / add it; since it does not detect, then it's likely a hardware issue. You can try restarting the computer, then see if it detects the printer when you add. If it does not work, then you have to borrow a printer USB cable whenever you can to test the printer. Or get it for a few bucks from your local computer store. Also, if possible, borrow a USB drive to test the USB port on the computer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok but you asked me to delete the printer and now it wont come back on.

I will go through the suggestions you have given me but will come back later if none of those work, thank you for your time

Sorry, because the printer was not working, so I was trying to delete / re-adding it. Please get back to me whenever you can and let me know the result; I will help further as needed. Thank you.