Russell H.
Russell H., Printer and Office
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

Canon Pixma MG4250 stopped printing wirelesslyWorked fine

Canon Pixma MG4250 stopped printing wirelessly
Worked fine for 18 months, 2 days ago get message Printer not responding. I've re-installed drivers from original disk, updated from Canon website to latest software, manually entered BThomehub 2 SSID and password, changed hub channel, reset printer to factory settings, re-set home hub and spoken with Canon (who have escalated it) and BT (who think it may be Canon issue). It runs under Windows7 (64-bit); and works perfectly with USB cable connected.
Any ideas, please?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that the question to ask in this case is, do you have a 'self-adjusting firewall' or security suite or internet security software, on the Windows 7 64-bit computer ?

If so that could suddenly affect the communication with the printer via wireless.

Try disconnecting from the internet (for security), then disabling (temporarily!) the firewall / internet security software on the computer, then trying to print again (after making sure the printer's wireless queue is not stopped up by unsent / unfinished print jobs.)

If the printer prints wirelessly again, with the firewall disabled, then the firewall is the problem and needs to be re-adjusted.
If the printer does not print wirelessly again with the firewall disabled, then the firewall is not the problem, and with the other things that have been tried, it might indicate that the printer's wireless hardware has failed suddenly, unfortunately. That does happen sometimes.

(Of course, remember to re-enable the firewall, and to re-connect to internet after that, not before.)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hallo Russell,

I've tried all that and still no Joy - how can I tell if the printers' wireless hardware has failed?

Well, the best way is to try to print to the printer from a different computer.

If that also fails, it is generally easy enough to conclude that the printer is at fault.

Did you add any devices to the network recently, change anything about the way the machines are located or set up, or move furniture about when the (apparent) failure occurred?
If so, that might have caused the problem to some extent. Let me know, that I may judge and inform you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, no nothing added or moved or software added or uninstalled.

I have an old XP machine - Dell inspiron 10+ years old, I'll give that a try over the weekend.

PS what happens now, please?

What happens now: There's no hurry. I'd like to see this through to a good conclusion.

Let me know what happens - at your convenience, or by Monday, will be fine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hallo Russell,

it works!!

I did as you wrote yesterday and no joy, I tried the windows XP machine and that did not work either; as a last resort I took the printer and laptop to the office this morning and started again from scratch. The machine at work wnet through a set-up I had not seen before (different internet security package at work to my home one) which asked whether I wanted to enable printer and file sharing once the printer was installed, I said yes and it worked. So I backtracked on my laptop and found that (for reasons I do not understand) file and printer sharing were not enabled - so I enabled them and away it went!

Excellent - it seems to be part of a firewall set-up, if I knew a bit more I may have got there quicker from your email.

Thanks very much indeed

David

I am pleased to hear that it was gotten working. You persevered and so it worked eventually.

Please rate my Answer - favorably I hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question... thanks, ***** ***** luck.