Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

Black ink not printing. have changed ink holder and run the

Customer Question

Black ink not printing. have changed ink holder and run the cleaning program to no avail
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
What model printer is this?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

KODAC ESPC310+2475 MOD ESPC310AT0

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Have you tried cleaning it by hand?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WHERE DO I CLEAN

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You said you changed the ink holder, do you mean you replaced the print head?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NO JUST INK HOLDER

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The print head is what the ink cartridges themselves sit inside of is that what you replaced?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

NO

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Then what exactly did you replace? You said you replaced the ink holder and that is what the ink sits inside of. I apologize but I am going to need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I HAVE REPLACED THE INK CARTRIDGE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

THE INK CARRIER

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. My apologies for any delay in getting you an answer. However, you've provided some conflicting information, multiple times.

The cartridge is the refill you buy to add more ink.
The carrier, also known as the "holder" or more correctly as the printhead, is something entirely different.

Please confirm what you replaced. The cartridge or the printhead.

This is what the printhead looks like:

KODAK 30 Series Printhead

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I HAVE REPLACED THE INK NOT THE PRINT HEAD

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for confirming.
These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.
The initial cleaning program you tried was appropriate. I would suggest running it at least once more though. If it still doesn't print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.
I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.
Realistically, it's probably time for a new printer. The next step would be replacing the head, and while it is an inexpensive part, it isn't a guaranteed fix. It may just as easily turn out to be a bad logic board that would run $200+ to fix, and even if you did other components like the absorber system, rollers, etc are at the end of their life. Because you can buy a brand new printer with updated features and a fresh warranty for about $80, that would be the more practical investment for most people.
That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can help with ordering parts or recommend replacement options if you prefer.
Nathan