Shefin
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I am using an HP DeskJet F4480 printer and happen to be using

Customer Question

I am using an HP DeskJet F4480 printer and happen to be using it with a Mac computer OS X 10.9.5. However I have identified the problem is with the printer itself and not with the computer or the connection to the computer.
When you print a job, the instruction for that job remains in the works and does not allow re-spooling for a new job. You can get it to do this by manually cancelling the first print job in the queue yourself (after the printer has completed it), and then after five minutes or so the printer will print the second job. Needless to say this is very frustrating.
Related to this is the fact that the printer will not direct-print a test page on instruction through the Utilities button. This means that there is a malfunction with the printer itself. I would like to be able to correct it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

It seems that the issue is with the driver. I would suggest you try the following and let me know if the issue persists.

Please go to the link given below, download and install the update. Restart the computer after installing the update.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Then, follow the instructions given below.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT smiley face. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Optional Remote Connect Service - Quick Resolution

Would you like me to remotely connect to your computer and fix the issue - The remote service will be an additional service for $30 but will allow me direct access to work on your issue and fix it (while you watch on your screen). If you need remote service, reply with the words "i want remote"

If you do not need the remote service, then simply provide me the requested information above. If you need remote service reply me with the words "i want remote".

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just have very limited time to proceed with this, but expect to do this within the next few days. Please be kind enough to allow me this time.

If it is the solution I'll be surprised because my own analysis so far is that this is a problem with the printer itself and not with the setup, but I am willing to give this a try. But please be patient as I cannot get it done immediately.

Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

Take your time and let me know the result you are getting. Also, let me know the result you are getting, while trying to copy like as Xerox without using the computer.

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This evening and tomorrow morning I have reserved for this printer. So now (Friday 7.15 pm Eastern) I am downloading the update into the OS X 10.9.5 as you advise, but it will take some hours.

The printer does copy as intended without using the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have now done what you say - resetting the printer and this is now the only printer on the list. It is still behaving in exactly the same way, the job that is done not disappearing from the list and then when cancelled the second job takes five minutes or so to get done.

Also when using "utilities" you cannot get it to print a test page, which means the printer itself is malfunctioning.

Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

If the printer works fine when copying, the issue might not be with the printer. If you let me access your computer remotely, let me try to resolve the issue myself while you watch.

However, the remote service will be an additional service for $20 and will allow me direct access to work on your issue and fix it (while you watch on your screen). If you need remote service, reply with the words "i want remote"

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid time has run out for me, and there are conflicting analyses here - because the test page does not print out, the system I use says quite conclusively it is a printer malfunction. I am taking the printer to "the shop" where I hope I can get a resolution of the issue in due course, otherwise I will ditch the printer.

Regards,

Bishop Nicholas

Expert:  Shefin replied 1 year ago.

I would suggest you check the printer with another computer, if you can. Check with the shop and try to install it properly. If you have any questions, please be back.

S H E F I N