Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My printer is printing even though ink cartridges are

Customer Question

My printer is printing blanks even though ink cartridges are not empty.
Please help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out .
What model printer is this?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kodak ESP 3200 Series All in one printer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please make a copy from the scanner glass is that blank as well?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It prints fine from the scanner
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What version of windows or mac is on the computer? Please print this page does it come out ok?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows 7
Not sure what you want me to print.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Print the page we are on now please, and let me know what comes out.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has printed but faintly. I have put in a new cartridge in case this made a difference but until now nothing has printed at all.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it seconds
Plug it back it and wait insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This cleaning took a long time and unfortunately has made no difference at all.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Next we would need to try a deeper cleaning of the print head itself then. Do you know how to remove the print head?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I'm afraid I don't. please tell me although I will not be free until tomorrow to carry out your instructions.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You can take all the time you need, to remove the print head remove the ink cartridges. Then on the carriage there should be a latch, bullseye or lever you can lift. Lift that and it should then release the print head. Remove the print head from the carriage.

Now soak the print head in warm water minutes. After 10 minutes repeat this with fresh water until after sitting the water is clear. Let it dry 10 minutes but do not test the machine yet. Put the print head and ink cartridges back in then run this once even if you did before all this:

Press Home on the printer control panel.
Press the down arrow button until Maintenance is selected, then press OK.
Press the down arrow until Clean Printhead is selected, then press OK.
After that test it again and see if the same thing happens.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done everything you have said and it is still not printing properly. Sometimes a half formed line of faded writing might appear. If I try to copy your emails it produces a faded sheet of writing and your picture. Both cartridges are new.

I am not getting the blue and white page which tells me to click .

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
After all that if the same thing happens the print head needs to be replaced. This model uses a #10 print head. You can get one here: Click here.
.