Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

My Cannon Pixma printer MG5250 has stoped working and shows

My Cannon Pixma printer MG5250 has stoped working and shows fault B200 "Printer error has occured. Unplug the power cord and contact the service centre"
I have checked matter but nothing found. What can i do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out .
If you open it does the carriage move over to you?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No no sign of movement

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Print head moved as suggested but was not very free. When power put back on print head moved back and forth a couple of times and window showed "door open" then went to "wait a moment" before reverting to the B200 printer error warning

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You may have to move it manually again but let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it seconds
Plug it back it and wait insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No Joy! Print head moves smoothly and quietly as usual and stops in the right place. All sounds and looks OK but still ends up with the same error warning.

All cartridges are new.

What next?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Some Canon MG models have a removable print head but not all do. Remove the ink cartridges is there a latch you can lift on the carriage? If there is lifting it releases the print head so it can be removed.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, print head black inners that holds cartridges isnow removwd

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok good soak the print head itself in warm water minutes. After 10 minutes change the water and repeat this until the water is clear after waiting the 10 minutes. Once done let it dry 10 minutes. Put it and the ink cartridges back into the machine and repeat the original steps I gave you. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have done as you suggested but no change!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is a very bad sign, how old is the printer? If over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well over a year old and no extended warranty!!!

Guess that means a new printer.

Thanks help.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately if none of that worked it means either the print head or logic board has failed and needs to be replaced. The steps we just did can normally rule out the print head. Unfortunately when not under warranty either can be expensive so some people do indeed replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Having just invested in a load of new cartridges do you know if current models take the same ones?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
These are the models that use the same PGI 225/226 ink:

Canon All-in-One MachinesPIXMA MG5120, PIXMA MG5150, PIXMA MG5220, PIXMA MG5250, PIXMA MG5320, PIXMA MG5350, PIXMA MG6120, PIXMA MG6150, PIXMA MG6220, PIXMA MG6250, PIXMA MG8120, PIXMA MG8150, PIXMA MG8220, PIXMA MG8250, PIXMA MX712, PIXMA MX715, PIXMA MX882, PIXMA MX885, PIXMA MX892, PIXMA MX895
Canon Inkjet PrintersPIXMA iX6520, PIXMA iX6550
Canon Photo PrintersPIXMA iP4820, PIXMA iP4850, PIXMA iP4920, PIXMA iP4950

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience