Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

My Canon PIXMA MX 885 was working perfectly this afternoon. It has suddenly stopped puttin

My Canon PIXMA MX 885 was working perfectly this afternoon. It has suddenly stopped putting ink on the paper. The paper feeds perfectly. I have replaced cartridges which were nearly empty. Running the printhead cleaning programme and printing the nozzle check pattern does not work
Does this suggest a printhead failure and am I looking at buying a new printer?
John
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, John.

Nathan :

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head.

Since you saw no results from the internal cleaning program, that would tend to indicate a bad head. The next possible step would be a manual cleaning process.

Nathan :

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, 2011 model, it is past its 3 year service life and wouldn't be worth fixing. The head alone costs more than a new printer, just part.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, help you find parts, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer.

Customer:

Nathan

Customer:

This is what I was anticipating. In my younger days I might have taken on the manual cleaning process, if only as a challenge. However in retirement I now look easy options.

Customer:

Thank you advice. I will seek a replacement printer with similar features to my trusty Canon PIXMA

Customer:

Customer:

John