Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a canon pixma MP 460 printer and it's started to grab

I have a canon pixma MP 460 printer and it's started to grab the paper on the right hand side, and the page will not go through the rollers. What can I do to put this right?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out .
Does this happen even with a single sheet of paper?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it happens just w ith a single piece of paper

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Please feed a thick sheet like card stock through 3 or 4 times and then test it again. You may need to push it yourself a little card stock to start feeding but once it does it should be pulled through. Do not force it, or it will jam.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, sorry that didn't work

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What happened when you tried it?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It didn't skew off to one side but didn't go though the back rollers.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What happened when it tried to go through the rollers? Did you test a single sheet of normal paper after putting the thick paper through 3 or 4 times?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've tried another piece of paper and it did the same as before, skewed off to the right and is catching around the roller about 3" in from the right, making a dent in the paper there.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Use a flashlight and look at the rollers. Is anything at all jammed in them? Small items you will not be able to see without a flashlight.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've looked, I've turned it upside down and shaken it, I've brushed the rollers with a long-handled paint brush.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
OK if you have done all of that already it would be a very bad sign, how old is the machine?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

About 5 years old

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, even with an extended warranty that would no longer be covered. From what you are describing one of the rollers is damaged and would need to be replaced. In order to do that the entire feeder needs to be replaced. I really hate to tell you this but without a warranty it can be expensive and is usually cheaper to replace the machine. Some shops refuse to do this type of repair because of that. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just one more thing - I've just bought inks machine. Is there a scanner/copier on the market that uses those same inks?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
All of these models use the same ink:

Canon All-in-One MachinesPIXMA MP140, PIXMA MP150, PIXMA MP160, PIXMA MP170, PIXMA MP180, PIXMA MP190, PIXMA MP210, PIXMA MP220, PIXMA MP450, PIXMA MP460, PIXMA MP470, PIXMA MX300, PIXMA MX310, PIXMAMX318
Canon Inkjet PrintersPIXUS MP170, PIXUS MP460
Canon Photo PrintersPIXMA iP1300, PIXMA iP1600, PIXMA iP1700, PIXMA iP1800, PIXMA iP1900, PIXMA iP2600, PIXMA iP6210D, PIXMA iP6220D, PIXMA iP6310D, PIXMA iP6320D, PIXUS iP2500
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - I'll look into these.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have bought a new printer. Unfortunately no new printers use the inks I have. Hopefully I can find someone who can use them. Thanks anyway.