Nathan
Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 20+ years experience printer repair
59725966

I HAVE A pixma MG 3250. Changed both inks and after printing

I HAVE A pixma MG 3250. Changed both inks and after printing one sheet A4 the second sheet had lines through the coloured section. Carried out print head clean. still same. Carried out deep clean, still same. Followed maintenance text, left 24hours, deep clean again still same. Any suggestions.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

When you say it has lines, do you mean horizontal white/blank spots through the text/image?

Nathan :

If you make a photocopy (try both black and color modes) does it have the same problem?

Customer:

Horizontal white lines through images

Nathan :

Thank you .

Nathan :

Are you using new/genuine canon cartridges, or are they refilled/generic/compatible cartridges?

Customer:

I purchase my inks from ijt and on this occasion have purchased XL. Normally get standard but they are not origonal use compatable

Nathan :

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head. However, it could be a result of the inks you are using. Non oem inks are known (and often permanently damaging) these printheads, which are very sensitive. I would suggest you replace them with a new canon ink before proceeding further, though it is possible there is permanent damage done and even new inks won't help.

The initial cleaning steps you took were appropriate and failing that you’ll need to do a manual cleaning.

I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use.

Realistically, it's time new printer. This is a 2012 model that is past its 3 year service life.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part older printer.

That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the manual cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options . Just let me know.

Customer:

Thanks that info. It seems by trying to save a few pounds buying compatable inks you run the risk of damaging your printer. Thats never made clear by the companies selling them. Like you suggest its probably time new printer so think I will go down that route.

Nathan :

They never do make it clear, their interest is in selling in, not printers

Nathan :

But this is a relatively cheap printer to begin with, and are essentially considered to be disposable.

Nathan :

Here is a replacement model I'd suggest, if you want to go that route,

Customer:

Well didnt realise the life is roughly 3 yrs and your right its just use so was never going to spend big bucks. Cheers ***** ***** gen purchase.

Nathan :

3 years is the designed life, though they often don't last even that long.

Nathan :

So it usually isn't worth investing too much in them, just get the basics, don't stock up on expensive inks that may outlast the printer, and plan on replacing everything every few years.

Nathan :

You're welcome.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Customer:

Have rated your service as good and its saying im not satisfied. i am

Nathan :

It went through, thank you, ***** ***** all you need to do.

Customer:

Cheers ***** ***** you got your just deserts. Thanks again Pete

Nathan :

Thanks Pete, have a great day,.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.