Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

Canon printer MX 885 Error message and diagram shows paper

Canon printer MX 885
Error message and diagram shows paper jammed in the transport unit. But no paper is visible either under the rear cover nor underneath when the cassette is removed.
Help please !
Dr Keith Macdonald
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out .
Is it showing an error number?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO ERROR NUMBER

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
What about flashing lights on the machine itself? If the lights flash it should be in a pattern. If nothing is flashing is the error only showing on the computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No flashing lights on printer. Error message and diagrams on computer screen.

Third time I've sent this message

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
It did not come through the first couple times then as this is the first time I got it. Please try making a copy from the scanner glass. Let me know what happens when you do. That does not use the computer at all so will let us know if the computer is the problem.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cannot make a copy because it says the paper is jammed

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok the machine should have given you an error with a number or flashing light pattern, did it do either?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No - it did neither. there is an orange power symbol lit at the bottom right

of printer control panel.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok open the machine as if you were going to change the ink, does the carriage move over to you?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO! nothing happens

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Chances are your paper jam error is actually being caused by a carriage jam then.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.

Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still doesn't work. Still says there is a paper jam

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Were you able to do all of that? Does the carriage move over properly now? What is the exact and entire error it shows now? Have you tried removing the cassette to see if any paper is on that side of the transport unit?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I said in my first message " But no paper is visible either under the rear cover nor underneath when the cassette is removed."

I did as you suggested, but it still won't copy from the plate.

It displays:- Error

rear cover

Paper is jammed

Clear the paper and press OK

The carriage can be moved by hand, but not otherwise.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Remove the casette and turn the machine on its side is there anything here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've done that - nothing to be seen.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok can you check the transport unit door and make sure it is on properly? How old is the printer? If over a year old did you happen to get an extended warranty?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As far as I can see it is OK and can be moved up and down in its slot

Printer was purchased in October 2011. No extended warranty

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately what you are describing usually indicates the transport unit is failing and needs to be replaced. One last thing you can try is to remove the rear door and cassette then use compressed air to try and clean it out. Most electronics and computer shops sell canned compressed air called air duster or something similar. If the same thing happens without a warranty you would want to call around price. This can be expensive to replace and I really hate to say it but can be cheaper to replace the machine itself. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****dy

Thank you help! I thought from the outset that it might be something more serious than a jam. The fax hasn't worked years or more. Time new printer, I'm afraid.

Keith

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome Keith and I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience