Richard, Engineer
Experience:  15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering
32989067

changed ink cartridge in XP-202. was ok but next time wont

changed ink cartridge in XP-202. was ok but next time wont work, andall lights are flashing.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure, hopefully it is nothing like that.

Please remove the ink cartridges and re-seat them, sometimes just not sitting properly can cause this.
If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please don;t say we have paid for you to tell us to do what we told you we already had done

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Freddy, Please reply to us. For the moment nothing you have said has been remotely useful

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You had not mentioned doing that yet and as I said in my reply if it did not work you need to reply to me and let me know what happened when you tried it so we can continue. I also mentioned that you may need a new part in order to fix this. What happened when you tried this? Please also give me time to type my replies.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I send you a message explaining that I could not move the cartridge to the place where I can take the ink cartridges out and that the printer was making a whistling noise> Did you not get it?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
It only said that it was sitting in the wrong place not that you could not move it over. Using a flash light look at the carriage, is anything stuck above or below it? Without a flashlight you would not be able to see all around it.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I cannot see anything jamming it when I use the flash light. The cartridge does not move when we turn on the printer.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok turn the machine off and unplug it. Then push down on the cartridges inside the carriage in case they are loose. Plug the machine back in and turn it on. Let me know what happens.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Freddy, the inks cartridges are in the housing and out of my reach. I cannot push them down as I have no access to them. They are hidden from view

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You can use something long and thin to push them down. I normally use a long flat head screw driver.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have press the cartridges down with the help of a flat screwdriver a couple of time but all we get is the whisling noise and nothing moves. It just twitches a bit

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not a good sign, how old is the printer? Look at it with a flashlight while it twitches do you see it stuck on anything?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is two and a half year old and we don't use it much. I know I replace the black cartridge correctly as I have done it before with no problem. There is nothing blocking it.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I apologize but I am going to need to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Lets call it a day. We will take it to the shop

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, remove all power to the printer and wait 10 minutes.
This will drain any residue power from it.
Then plug it in, turn it on and tell me if the cartridge moves to the correct position please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, it makes no difference

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The straining noise, does it happen as soon as you connect the power? or after about 6 seconds?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As soon as I turn it on

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is the gearing in the motor that drives that unit that has faulted.
Its not residue power and its not the firmware
If it is under warranty, then you need to return the printer and they will replace this. If the warranty has expired, repairing it will cost more then the value of the computer and you only get a 3 month warranty at the most (depending on the company doing the repair).
If the warranty has expired, your best to purchase a replacement printer, it works out cheaper in the long run.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: 15 years consulting in the IT industry with Printing engineering