Shefin
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

Canon Pixma MP530 wont print black text, removed older main

Canon Pixma MP530 wont print black text, removed older main black tank and replaced it with a new one, same result. although tank is new and full. I can print text if I change colour of the text if using "word" but this is not practical of course and also copying documents will not work as paper comes out blank. Have tried suggested cleaning methods to no avail. Computer is Mac OSX .V.10.5.8 version.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please try the following and let me know the result.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT smiley face and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

regret that suggested cleaning has not cured the problem and confirm again that all the cartridges are new. Any further ideas ?

Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

Have you tried cleaning the printhead using printer control panel?

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shefin,

Have tried all cleaning options to no avail. Have just printed newsheet from New York Times, both black and coloured text OK.

With regard to the Nozzle check printout all the coloures were fine and the small black cartridge but no printout for the larger PGBK cartridge !

And anything that needs the larger PGBK cartridge such as "Word" documents in black print or simple black copying results in a blank page.

Reluctant to dump this copier but as you know replacement printers are cheap enough, shall I give up this exercise ?

Regards.

Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

If the issue persists even after the cleaning option, the issue might be with the printhead and you have to replace it in order to get the issue resolved.

However, it is better to replace printer itself than repalcing the printhead, becuase of the cost of it.

Unfortunately, except for business-grade workgroup printers, few modern printers are repairable, and fewer are worth repairing.

Most printers are now manufactured to a "replace not repair" standard. To understand why this is the case, consider the cold, hard, real-world cost of repairing a printer.

There's a two hour shop time minimum charge, with technician time at $US 100/hour. Then add parts - figure a $US 50 minimum for parts. The minimum cost of having a printer repaired is $US 250.

The rule of thumb for repair vs. replace is 2/3 of the cost of replacement. Therefore, if you can buy a new printer for $350 or less, you're better off with the new printer.

I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed. Please do not rate me poor or Bad.

S H E F I N
Experience: Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.