Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

when I turn on my printer, im getting a semi blank screen with

when I turn on my printer, im getting a semi blank screen with a vertical line through it. it tells me there is an error, to turn it off and try again. done repeatedly. cant access menus
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
What mnodel printer is it? What is the exact error it gives you?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

could I please have an answer to my query of the 10th

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I am still waiting for you reply to the questions I sent you above. Without that I can not help you. Make sure to reply on this page, replying to the emails goes to no one.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

canon pixma 550

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
What is the exact error it gives you?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

on the screen, it says'. , printing error has occurred. turn off power then back on again. if problem persists, see the manual' I don't have a hard copy of a trouble shooting manual

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
There should be a number as well like C000,B200, 6A00 etc
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

oops, sorry canon pixma mp 550. that's the only numbers I can find

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I actually meant the print error message it should show a number somewhere.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yup, cooo

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

cooo

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Turn the machine off and unplug it.
Then by hand move the print head (cradle) by hand.
It should move freely, if it does not it is damaged.

Move it back and forth across the bar 3 or 4 times.
Then leave it in the middle of the bar.

Plug the machine back in and turn it on.
Give it a minute or two to detect the print head in the middle and recalibrate it.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

tried that, twice, still the same problems. is there a next step?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did that twice, still the same problem. is there a next step I can take/

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, did all the manual cleaning, still no joy. whats next if anything?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Remove the ink cartridges and look at the carriage. Is there a lever or latch you can lift? Not all Pixma series have it so I need you to check. If you do it allows you to remove the print head. Some do not have removable print heads though which is why I need you to check.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ive removed ink cartridges,there is a lever, which ive raised but I cant see it allowing me to lift out print head

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
The print head sits inside the carriage similar to the ink cartridges that is what the lever should allow you to remove.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ye, Freddie, ive got the print head out. what now?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok good now soak the print head in warm water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes change the water and repeat this. Do that until after 10 minutes the water is clear, then set it aside and let it dry for 10 minutes. Do not test it yet but put the print head and ink back into the machine then follow the original set of steps I gave you moving it back and forth one more time. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi. I did all of that but it hasn't resolved the problem. Any further steps/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi, I did all that but it hasn't fixed the problem. anything else to try?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is it the same error C000 or a different number now?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, same error code,c000

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok next look at the carriage again but this time look at the back of it you should see a plastic strip using a lint free cloth clean that as best you can. Once done repeat the original steps I gave you moving it back and forth manually.

If the same thing happens unfortunately the carriage and that strip will need to be replaced. C000 is a carriage jam caused by either the print head or the encoder strip. We already ruled out the print head and this will rule out the strip.

If you are under warranty this will normally be covered. If not however replacing the carriage assembly can be expensive, some technicians will not do it because it is usually cheaper to replace the machine. Due to that if not under warranty some people do replace the machine instead. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience