Shefin
Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I have just bought an iMac computer and I am having difficulty

Customer Question

I have just bought an iMac computer and I am having difficulty with a driver for my iP4850
Canon printer . I am new to Apple having been using Microsoft for years. Thanks for any help you can offer . The new iMac desk top uses the Yosemite OS .
John Kennedy - *****@******.***
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please go to the link given below, download and install the update. Restart the computer after installing the update.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1742?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Then, follow the instructions given below.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  2. Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) or Printers & Scanners.
  3. Hold down the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
  4. Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

Then, try printing anything.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT smiley face and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks . I will try that tonight and will be in touch with you with the outcome .

John Kennedy *****@******.***

Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.
Hi,Take your time and let me know the response.Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HiCustomer,

I've still got a problem . I opened System Preferences and Printers and Scanners - " no printers are available.Click add(+) to set up a printer "

Doing so , a window with sections opens on the left but no printers are listed and I cannot print anything into any part of this window .Does this mean that my attempt to load my Canon iP4850 from its disk has failed .

The Canon website lists the iP4850 as being supported by Yosemite OS .

How can I check to see if my attempt has failed .

John

Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.

That meand the computer is unable to detect the printer.

If you are using a USB cable to connect the printer to the computer, make sure that you have connected it properly. If still unable to detect the printer even after connecting it propelry, please use a different USB cable to connect the printer to the computer. Then, try adding it.

S H E F I N
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HiCustomer,

Problem fixed . When I moved the USB cable from my old Acer desktop into the USB socket in the rear of the Apple iMAC - hey presto -there was mt Canon iP4850 up and running . I had assumed that this was not necessary as they shared the same wireless circuit - wrong !

Thanks for you excellent service .

John Kennedy

Expert:  Shefin replied 2 years ago.
Hi,I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.Thank you.S H E F I N