Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

error message says replace print head but I don't know where

error message says replace print head but I don't know where it is or how to do it. Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
What model printer is this? Does the error have any numbers?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pixma IP5000

can't find the error message, sorry

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You said you are seeing a message to replace the print head? If you get it when trying to print please try to print this page and let me know if it gives you a number.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1403

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Let's try doing a manual cleaning of the machine and see if that helps at all.
If you have any trouble or get stuck at any point please let me know so I can help you.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
There is an area on the cartridge that when pushed ink will come out that is normal, just get any dried ink off that area.

Now once you have done all of that turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still have the yellow light flashing I'm afraid. Have cleaned everything and done what you suggested....

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
How many times does it flash?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Remove the ink and look at the carriage is there a latch or lever you can lift?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have lifted the top of the ink cartridge holder,there doesn't seem to be anything else I can lift...

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That may be it, if it is it should have released the print head which sits under the ink cartridges inside the carriage.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So what do I do next then?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Were you able to remove the print head? If you were reseat it and then hold the resume/cancel button for 10 seconds. Let me know what happens.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's still flashing!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Is it still 5 times?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Remove the print head again, and with it removed pull the power from the printer.Take the print head and soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. Change the water after 10 minutes and repeat this until the water runs clear. After that let it dry 10 minutes. Do not test it but put it back into the machine then run the cleaning on the machine itself once to get any water in the nozzles out. After that test it, if the same thing happens the print head indeed needs to be replaced. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience: Years of experience